81 Caddy power brakes! front locking up~ need help?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

btrapr
Cetane Booster

81 Caddy power brakes! front locking up~ need help?

Post by btrapr »

I have an 81 Caddy that I bought several months back. Since then I have replaced the front calipers, initially I put on braided SS lines up front~but went back to NEW front rubber brake lines, new master cylinder (leaking between booster), brake pads. This thing has been whipping me up one side and down the other. I have spent a lot fo my spare time for the past two weeks trying to get the brake system operating properly.

A few weeks ago a popped the fitting on the SS braided front left brake line and almost took out a car. After applying the emergency brake by holding the button and using it like a hand brake, and running a stop sign. I went back to NEW rubber front lines. The master cylinders appear to be the same? There is NO adjustment under the dash at the brake pedal! I did pull the master off and pulled it back. I know that the master popped out about 1/2" as if the rod was depressed. The threaded portion was hung up slightly in the master cylinder hole. I also notice that there was a small ball end on the rod where it seats in the master cylinder. I got it out and screwed it in all of the way! emery clothed it to remove and burrs. Then I applied a little synthetic grease hoping to keep it from rusting, sticking and gauling the master cylinder hole.

Well up the street I went this time I did not make it a mile and I could feel the front brakes robbing what little power this thing has. I pulled over turned the wheels hard left and took a 10mm loosened the bleeder and it squirted. The caliper released (the left seems to hang more then the right~ but I think the right is off of the back of the master). I started back to the house and did not get 1/2 way and again power robbing front brake as it seems to be the left front. This time I pulled over popped the hood and loosened the bleeder on the front circuit (where some have a brake light sending switch) it squirted and away I went.

WHAT am I missing? This thing keeps building pressure in the front brakes in particular the front left!

I have the Bentley book and the Haynes book and they say to measure the pedal etc prior to removal. WELL I messed up no that one! I did drive it a little with the old front calipers but not out of the yard, so I do not know if it was doing it before or not!

HELP ME~ :mrgreen:
Last edited by btrapr on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btrapr
Cetane Booster

Re: 81 Caddy power brakes! front locking up~ need help?

Post by btrapr »

Got it! my cousin told what to try!

Screwed the rod in the rest of the way and added a few washer to set the master off of the booster...My has the seal in the booster "No O-rin" on the master cylinder..so it worked fine.

I NOW HAVE BRAKES AND ACTUALLY HIT 5TH GEAR...this thing must have been really dragging the whole time...