Time for a refurb.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Time for a refurb.

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Long story short, I've had my bunny sitting unused for a while as a kind of insurance policy against high fuel costs, and it's time to collect!

The downside is that the engine (early 1.6l) is in poor shape, and it needs a ton of work. It has about 350k miles along with blow-by and a lope/miss after start up. All the glow plugs check out at ~1ohm and are presumably working well. I'm guessing the blowby is due to wear, but it could be a blocked oil passage, although I think the lope/miss at start-up makes this less likely, but I won't really know without a compression test.

Regarding the compression test, I have a HF tester and for some reason it mentions the injectors on 1970s rabbits and only the GPs on 79 and later. Do the 1.5s and 1.6s all have the same threading in the head for the injectors, so that I can run a compression test either way, or is there a difference in the threads so that I'll have to do the test through the glow plugs?

I also need to replace the pump head o-ring since it's really leaking, the clutch, rebuild the injectors, and I'd like to drop in an FN. What would be the best things to do and the best order to do things in after I've found out whether or not I need to tear apart the engine? For instance should I replace any other IP seals when I replace the pump head o-ring, or is there no lifespan for pumps seals (they go when they go)?
Last edited by lyeinyoureye on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Time for a refurb.

Post by 82vdub »

The injector threads are the same between the 1.5's and 1.6's.

If the pump hasn't had it's seals replaced since it was new, the new ultra low sulfer diesel will cause them to shrink and they will leak. If you've got to change the one on the head, the other external gaskets may not be too far behind.

Does the car start and run well? Other than fixing leaking gaskets etc, why not fix the things for regular maintenance (fuel filter, timing belt, oil etc) and put some miles on it? Then, fix what you need to fix to keep inproving things with it. Or, is it where you can't drive it because of the clutch slipping that bad?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Re: Time for a refurb.

Post by lyeinyoureye »

All the usual stuff would be done too, barring the fuel filter since that only has ~10k miles on it. I'd like to be thorough because it goes through a ton of oil. Something like 5 quarts every 1500 miles. Besides that it runs fine, it just takes a bit to get warmed up and stop missing. The clutch is also usable, but since I'd really like to drop in the FN because the GP in there right now is awful on hills, I might as well toss in a new clutch too. Thanks for the info btw!. The Bentley didn't mention this, but do I use the old injector washers for the compression test?

Edit- Should I run a hot and cold compression test to get more info, or is a hot version usually enough?