i've got a problem, any advice?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

i've got a problem, any advice?

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

1600 mk2, got new postons/rings
cannt get the pistons out
my pop put the rods in backwards :cry:
and cannt get pistons out thru the top.
tried pounding, tried a block of wood inbetween crank and rod big end half, tried a jack and pounding them out, no luck any advice :?:
no ring grove, even a negative groove (used a ring groove removal tool), cleaned, sanded, oiled cyl.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: i've got a problem, any advice?

Post by 82vdub »

Some dumb questions, but you have the rod cap removed from the rod? Is the rod separated from the crankshaft journal, is the piston towards the top of the block or more towards the bottom of the cylinder? Can you see any scoring on the cylinder walls from the part of the cylinder that you can see that would lead you to believe that the piston scored the cylinder walls?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Well, if the binding is not at the top, maybe it's at the piston skirts. Did they get damaged?
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

yea well, rod is apart, :shock: piston is up and 3/4 of the way to the top ring. maybe i'll take more sandpaper to it.
pistons are new, sure the pounding did no damage.
thx for the replies, maybe i just need to take alot of sandpaper to where the ring-groove remover stopped, may be just a little ridge left.
had alot less trouble on my other oil-banger, same year, only ruined a flat-head screwdriver (long) and pistons came out, didnt have ridge remove tool then.
i new this car was a p. of sh..
hey she has 800k+, so aside from the a/c being busted,,
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

air-cooled or diesel wrote:yea well, rod is apart, :shock: piston is up and 3/4 of the way to the top ring. maybe i'll take more sandpaper to it.
pistons are new, sure the pounding did no damage.
thx for the replies, maybe i just need to take alot of sandpaper to where the ring-groove remover stopped, may be just a little ridge left.
had alot less trouble on my other oil-banger, same year, only ruined a flat-head screwdriver (long) and pistons came out, didnt have ridge remove tool then.
i new this car was a p. of sh..
hey she has 800k+, so aside from the a/c being busted,,
Can't see why the pistons wont come out even with a groove. Did the pistons get put in from underneath and the rings too big, and wedging?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

rings are grant, match for 1600 diesel
no marks on cyl wall, no scoring,
since we took rod caps off on 1 and 4 has been making more noise when turning crank, am trying to check into that, without pistons coming out not much i can see. oiled rod and mains on sides, less noise. crank doesnt move freely by hand as cyl head is off crank should turn by hand and freely, need a socket and just a little too much pressure to turn.
pistons went in on top.
have oil on bearings
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If there's no scoring on the cylinder walls and you can turn the crank by a wrench, the pistons aren't stuck in the cylinder. You may just have to hit the wood block a little harder to knock them out of the cylinder.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

may try, :| on ice while i work on the other.
if i can fix the other's prob, then i just need to glass it and rustproof, then the interior.
like that one only thing this 1 has ps but ac is busted
found heat in the other by flushing on my 4th or 5th flush, and she can be all-weather, and this one is for just in case.
both are great kids cars.
while the public is talking about 35mpg is good im getting at least 45mpg (in both, since '86 for these 2) and 0 emission controls, what sounds better? all that computer module and boat load of wiring, or 1 wire, (exepting oil/water sensors) and run run run, and more run?
not to say the $ that it takes to reasearch and develop to make gas efficient, not to say everyone grows corn now. say hi to high food prices. when you can do alot of things to make diesel, and our old bangers are how much more non-pollutant than a modern gas.
i'll tell you, its blastphemy to need more than 1 wire to run these TD's included, clean diesel, baaa.. dont like japan computers too hot myself. :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :evil:
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

got 1 going the other is on ice. the current prob is she wont slow idle or hot restart. tried new injectors, everything seems tight now, will see tomorow.
the only thing i can think of is inj pump flush out, whats a strong flush out for pump/with running?
then if that doesnt work, maybe play w/adj screw. on the screw out will be more, right? and in less?
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

i set slow idle, and she wont hot restart, wait a couple of minutes and she cranks and gets going. when i rev her up she doesnt go back to idle she sits at 1300 or so then idles, eventually stalling, not restarting. crank her when she's hot and its black smoke. maybe 1 or more of the injectors are bad.
dont want to mess w/screw, im a virgin, and never had too yet, but im running out of options, any other trouble shooting?
im used to glow, crank 1 and 2 strokes, start. if hot 1 and 2 and start on both.
cannt show off my oldie w/ nearly 1,000,000
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

is it cranking fast enough?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

you bet, batt has a good charge.
starting motor is fine
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

i ordered TRW valves and in the mail SM valves came, are SM valves (exaust) any good?