1980 Diesel Rabbit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

photonana
Glow Plug

1980 Diesel Rabbit

Post by photonana »

We recently purchased a Rabbit, which we love. I would like to look into little by little doing some self restoring. The dash is all cracked, is there any way to repair that? Also there is a leak around the hatch when it rains, it soaks the inside under the window. Of course all the regular things, rust, interior, rear seat, etc. Front seats I believe were replaced. I am so happy I found this forum! I appreciate any help!
Una
Cetane Booster

Re: 1980 Diesel Rabbit

Post by Una »

Welcome to the forum. :) I have a similar rear hatch leak. Coming in from the top? I've been meaning to look into mine and figure it out, but since it's summer (more or less) around here, I haven't yet. I figured I'd just have to buy a new seal.
'81 Diesel Rabbit
'88 Dodge Omni
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Please put your location in your profile.

If it's a diesel, buy a Bentley manual if you're going to service the car yourself, check the condition of the timing belt, and change the fuel filter. The last two items are dependant on when you know for a fact that they were last changed. Previous owners distort the truth to move problem cars.

The leak at the rear hatch may be coming from the wind seal around the window itself. The front windshield on these cars leaks much more often than the back.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

They make dash repair kits, but the results could be less than desirable. Obviously, replacing the dash would be your best option... barring that, patching and repainting could yield okay results.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
photonana
Glow Plug

Post by photonana »

Thanks so much for all the tips! i am really excited to find this site. I already said something to my husband about the oil he was putting in it. I said it had to be special for diesel. He argued and said he put the same in as he does everything else.! He also said it said in the manual to put in, I believe, 10-30, Quaker State, don't quote me on that, :) I figured too it was a seal around window. Wonder how big of a job that is to change it? Where would you get dash?
photonana
Glow Plug

Post by photonana »

where do you get a Bentley Manual? Is that a name of a company, or a car? I know I am sounding dumb! :shock:
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Look on the internet for a "dash cap" or "Dash cover" and you might find something to just put over the cracked dash. If you're not too concerned about it being perfect you could put some fabric cover or short pile carpeting over it. If none of those appeal to you, you can try to find a good used dash but replacing the dash is not for the faint of heart.

As for the hatch seal, first check to make sure that the hatch itself isn't rusted where it meets the hatch seal. If that surface isn't smooth you'll have a hard time keeping water out in heavy rain storms. On my 79 that I sold this year, I actually made a small slit into the hatch seal (they are hollow rubber) and inserted tubing in it to "beef up" the existing seal and increase pressure on the hatch when it closes against the seal. Also check all along the top of the hatch seal (weatherstrip) - what happens is crud and small leaves get caught up in the top of the seal mostly between the two hinges, and it allows water build up and rust. Also small leaves will protrude into the seal and make a path for water to follow.. So, cleaning up that area is the best start on the problem, then making sure the hatch metal is clean and smooth where it meets the seal. Also some lubricant on the rubber seal (RuGlyde or possibly some Armor All) will help it seal better.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
photonana
Glow Plug

Post by photonana »

Thank you so much for all the help! I will check out to make sure there is no rust there, because we of course do have rust on our car. You gave me alot of valuable tips on repairing the water leak! It comes from the top, and runs down on the inside of the hatch, and into the trunk! We had some repaired to get it inspected. I thought about that with the dash as far as covering it with something. I even bought a nice soft blanket with peace signs and flowers on it with that in mind. I bought extra ones to make seat covers. May just go ahead with that original idea of doing that? BTW, is there suppose to be special oil put in your diesel cars, ours is a 1980. Should we just follow the mauual?
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I've always used 15w40 for my diesel - I figured that was standard for these cars. Others here vary the weight of their oil depending on the season.

You can find the manual for your car here:
http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Rabbit ... 0837601843
- Mike Harpring

photonana
Glow Plug

Motor Oil for Diesel

Post by photonana »

Thanks Mike for your reply. You say they vary their oil depending on season. Can you tell me what they use for what season. We live in the NorthEast with some cold winters, but not as cold as Minn. of course.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Personally I would run 15w40 Rotella year round - I am in the washington DC area and that's what I run with no real issues in hot or cold weather. I don't think it's all that critical unless you are down near zero which you won't see for a a while yet.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I'm with Bob - run 15w40 (Rotella seems to be preferred) all year round and you'll be fine!
- Mike Harpring