Fixed the excess exhaust issue, now....

Moderator: Fatmobile

Bart
Glow Plug

Fixed the excess exhaust issue, now....

Post by Bart »

OK, so I installed a oil catch can between the pipe that exits the crank case and then returns to the intake manifold, solving the problem that I had with exhaust and a little oil leakage when that pipe was just routed out the back of the van, into the air. Now my engine seems to be leaking more oil than usual. It spatters up the back of it when I go on the highway and there's quite a few drips whenever I park after driving somewhere. By spatter I mean there's droplets that get blown onto the back - there's not quarts and quarts. It leads me to believe that the crankcase may of been ventilated to the air to relieve some of the pressure building up in the the engine, for it didn't leak that much before I made that modification. It is running great - much better than before my oil catch was installed, except for the mess of the oil. Should I be looking into trying to relieve pressure build-up from inside the engine? Any ideas?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Fixed the excess exhaust issue, now....

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been putting a block vent on the front of the block.
Sometimes the vacuum pump goes to a plate and sometimes there is just a blockoff plate there (with a vane-style vacuum pump).
That's where I vent the block.

The early 1.5s had this and the later 1.9s had it,.. but not the 1.6s.

Even the 2.0ABA gassers have this block vent.
In fact I've been using the MK3 2.0 puck on top of the valve cover, instead of the 1-port MK2 diesel puck.
It has 2-ports (other than the one that plugs into the valve cover).
1 port comes in at an angle so the gasses spin around the outside, the other port draws from the middle.
Might be a picture in my 1.7 GTD project.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.