Timing belt rides off center on the IM shaft pulley

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tonbra
Glow Plug

Timing belt rides off center on the IM shaft pulley

Post by tonbra »

I just changed the passenger side motor mount on my 1.6d. As I was removing the bracket, I inadvertently chipped the shoulder of the IM shaft pulley. I stole one of the newer "shoulderless" pulleys off of another engine I had laying around. I then buttoned everything back up.

Problem now, I noticed now the pulley seems to ride a little closer in to the block. This is causing the belt to ride slightly off center on the IM shaft pulley. The belt overhangs by ~1mm. Everthing else lines up- although on the crankshaft the belt rides more to the outer side of the sprocket- since I put the outer alt belt pulley back on I dont think this is an issue. The camshaft and the IP all ride perfect.

Question- is the belt riding over the IM shaft pulley with a slight overhand an issue? If so, how do I correct this? Is there a shim I can get?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Timing belt rides off center on the IM shaft pulley

Post by Fatmobile »

It rides over the edge of the intemediate shaft pully,
without riding off the edge of the injection pump pully?

I've never heard of such a thing,..
no weird wear on the edgeless pully?

Might have to trim the edges off the old pully.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tonbra
Glow Plug

Post by tonbra »

Taking your advice to heart. I took the old pulley and chiped off the rest of the broken shoulder. I filed the edges down and took an emery cloth to it to smooth it out. Looked so good with the one side shoulder/one side flat you couldn't tell it was modified. Anyway, I pulled the shoulderless pulley out and put the old modified one in. No probelm- belt tracks just fine over all pulleys. The only issue I am supper anal about is that the belt rides flush on the end of the crankshaft and not in dead center. All other pulleys the belt rides in the center.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I think as long as the belt's not riding off the end of the crank pully, it's fine. I believe the last time I changed my Tbelt (and had to adjust the IP so the belt would track right) the Tbelt rode at the front edge of the crank pully.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count