Re use oil filter?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Re use oil filter?

Post by WAgrower »

Ok long story short I have to drop my oil pan today. I'm replacing the pan gasket obviously and though I should do the oil cooler o-ring and the gasket from the block to the cooler.
I just changed the oil 2 months ago so I plan on reusing it and the oil filter, however I just relized I probably should reuse the oil filter because it wont get a good reseal and could get contaminated.

So can I reuse the filter or need a new one?
82 Westy with an 85 1.6TD
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Re: Re use oil filter?

Post by DanHoug »

as much as i've been tempted, i never reuse the oil. filter isn't such a big deal. but with the oil, crap falls in the pan, the pan itself is dirty, and metal shards can be in the used oil that have been flushed out of the pan.

keep your filter if you must but i would use new oil.

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Don't change the seal between the oil cooler and the engine. Don't change the oil seal on top of the filter if it is soft, and undamaged.
If you wish to reuse the filter, then pour out as much oil as possible and flush with gasoline. Drain into a tin can and refit.

Inspect residue in can
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Well I re used about 2/3 of the old oil and didn't get a chance to pull the cooler bracket off so I still have the old filter. I think I'll wait till next oil change to get at the gasket between the block and cooler.
Don't change the seal between the oil cooler and the engine
any reason why not to change a leaking gasket?? It looks like an original paper gasket and I have a nice new metal one ready.

And why the hell are the bolts on the half circle portion of the pan right next to the pan! I couldn't even get a spanner on them! Had to grind down the sides of a 10mm socket to get them out :evil:
Bottom side of the engine looks in good shape though, and the stud was resting in the gap between some baffles; probably could have stayed there another 5k miles.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

WAgrower wrote:Well I re used about 2/3 of the old oil and didn't get a chance to pull the cooler bracket off so I still have the old filter. I think I'll wait till next oil change to get at the gasket between the block and cooler.
Don't change the seal between the oil cooler and the engine
any reason why not to change a leaking gasket?? It looks like an original paper gasket and I have a nice new metal one ready.

And why the hell are the bolts on the half circle portion of the pan right next to the pan! I couldn't even get a spanner on them! Had to grind down the sides of a 10mm socket to get them out :evil:
Bottom side of the engine looks in good shape though, and the stud was resting in the gap between some baffles; probably could have stayed there another 5k miles.
Sorry, if leaking definitely replace :shock:

Not sure of any effect of metal gaskets for heat transfer, compared with paper.

Do you use 1/4 inch drive sockets for the sump bolts?
Last edited by Quantum-man on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Ken at north westies here in Seattle mentioned VW moved from paper to metal crush style, not sure when or why but I have a new one waiting. The leak also could be from the cover that is next to the oil cooler. Not sure what it is but it's shaped like a shield and has 2 Allen bolts holding it on.

As a product shout out, I used "The Right Stuff" gasket sealant and loved it. Comes in a pressurized can with an applicator nozzle. Dries in 5 mins to drive in it, rather then an hour for red silicone.

Thanks for the help guys, next project is rebuilding some cabinets inside the van to fit a cat heater:) winter camping here we come!