1.6L head repair

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ktzdsl
Cetane Booster

1.6L head repair

Post by ktzdsl »

Have a non-planed, 1.6L head, 068103373M, Sep 27, 1984 with 30 mm pre-cups. There are no crack between valves; however, there is erosion on the manifold side by number 4 cylinder. I used red felt tip pen to highlight the erosion and am including links to pictures. Primary question is: can this head be repaired at a reasonable cost?

Nothing makes a failure but a try!
1982 1.6L NA pickup in process of being reborn.
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.6L head repair

Post by vanbcguy »

Repairable? If you know someone who's really good at welding aluminum anything is possible. The material would have to be built back up and then the head decked back to flat again. Given the overall condition of the surface it will definitely take a lot of work, which means a lot of $$$$.

I doubt it is worth it though - heads for these engines are common enough that you can get a replacement for probably less money than the cost of repairing that one.

What was the history of that head? Any idea how it got like that? Overall it does seem to be in almost unused condition.
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
ktzdsl
Cetane Booster

Post by ktzdsl »

I sorta knew that it probably could be fixed, but at what cost? No experience in that area.
The head looks relatively unused, valves look brand new. Pre-chambers still show concentric circles on the surface and the edges are machined, not a sharp edge like it had been planed. The head was off an engine in a caddy that I purchased, but the head was laying in the bed of the vehicle. Found the block had spun a couple of crank bearings at cylinders 1 and 2.
I will check with a local machine shop. If too costly, will strip down and go from there. Thanks for your response.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Get a head gasket and mark where the area is between piston chamber and water holes. They are the only areas that need touching :roll:

Go anywhere and get someone to MIG/TIG the corrosion.

I bet even steel epoxy would work as it will be clamped.

Doom and Gloom... Doom and Gloom... :lol:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
ktzdsl
Cetane Booster

Post by ktzdsl »

See? The old saying about "Can't see the forest for the trees" still applies. I have looked at the eroded area for so long, that it never dawned on me to check it with a gasket, even when I was using a marker to isolate the area. Quantum-man, thanks for the wake up call. ken
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Further to my dig at the doom and gloomers, here is my head when I took it off. As a side idssue note the false second hydro bulge.

Anyway, back to my point. Note that my picture shows that the area open to combustion comes within about 5mm of the water chamber. See the marks left by the steel seal on the gasket. This is the only area that need concern you.

Looking at your head, the vey edge of the head where it surrounds the water chambers is nice and clean.[Better than mine actually], because:
Heads often fail because that sealing edge corrodes away into the water chamber.

I suspect that your head will seal with absolutely nothing done to it.

However I would fill with metal epoxy, the few spots that will lie underneath the gasket.
If you don't want your head, I'll have it and hopefully cure my piston to valve clash :o

"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)