First post: Valve wear

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

nutsnbolts
Glow Plug

First post: Valve wear

Post by nutsnbolts »

I'm currently rebuilding a 1.6NA JK that's out of a 78 Rabbit 2 door(obviously not original). What I thought was going to be a simple head gasket job, turned into a full 1mm overbore/rebuild. The original mechanical head had badly eroded injector holes and a cracked injector boss so I found another head, this one is hydraulic. Both heads had virtually no intake guide wear and both heads had exhaust guides that were worn oval all in the same direction and the exhaust valves and seats are all rounded over. I purchased new exhaust valve guides and exhaust valves and an 8mm reamer, installed the guides and reamed them. When I start to cut the seats the cutter cuts off to one side real bad, the same sides even. This would explain the valve and guide wear maybe? Its like the valve seats were never in line with the guides causing the valves to hit one side of the seat and slide down when closing and causing the guide to wear oval. This is my first diesel rebuild but I've never seen this kind of wear in a gas engine. Is this a VW trait? Do I need to worry about valve length after cutting seats in a hydro head? I have new lifters also. And yes I know the second vent hole needs to be plugged. Thank you.
nutsnbolts alright I'll be certifiably "nuts" before I'm done with this thing!

78 Rabbit