serpentine belted 1.9 in a van= wobble wobble

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dannyvbrowne
Glow Plug

serpentine belted 1.9 in a van= wobble wobble

Post by dannyvbrowne »

hello all
it seems early 1.9td had issues with alternators over-riding the crank causing all sorts of cahos, luckly i spotted issues early i the life of my newly fitted recon, it's in high-top camper,i need to get an alternator pulley with a cluch it seems?...any thoughts on me rotro fitting the old original v-belt setup form the 1.6td, only problem i can see is the water pump turning in the other direction, i have a nearly new 1.6 pump from the original,is there even a differance between the pumps.. any ideas or advice......
good workings
danny
coke

Re: serpentine belted 1.9 in a van= wobble wobble

Post by coke »

Stick with the serpentine setup. Its much better. Trust me. Replace the alternator pulley with whats called a decoupler pulley or clutched pulley, and take the time to remove the timing belt and crank gear and see if the gear has damaged the crankshaft. It would be a good idea to get the crank ground down to accept the TDI pulley. Much better design.
dannyvbrowne
Glow Plug

Post by dannyvbrowne »

humm... if only i'd known this was an issue a month ago, i,ve just fitted the engine and it has just been re-bored re-built and re-timmed..crank-bolt seems ok, so i think i'll go with the new clutch-pulley and hope that sorts it out, seems strange it was'nt fitted to the original engine but it did start as a N/A into which i had the turbo pistons fitted when i had the re-bore done... i've managed to do all work except the block re-con so i don't want to stop now...i hate the thought of crank pulley failure so i'll watch carefully..
thanks
danny
coke

Post by coke »

You can't know if the crank pulley is damaged unless you pull it and look at it. Or it has noticeable play side to side or up and down. If it were me, I'd be pulling it to check. If it fails, your pistons could kiss your valves, or worse.
dannyvbrowne
Glow Plug

Post by dannyvbrowne »

aghh :mrgreen: ..so mayde i should take this oppertuinity to fit the 1.6td diesel pump like i should have done last time...oh for the knowlage!
thanks for the advice
danny
coke

Post by coke »

Yeah. No problem. I would definitely take a look behind the crank pulley at the nose of the crankshaft and the crank pulley itself. You'll be able to tell if its not right. You'll see it. And as you indicated, a great time to fit the pump you want on there, since you have to remove the timing belt to remove the crankshaft pulley. :)
dannyvbrowne
Glow Plug

Post by dannyvbrowne »

it seems the way to go alright.. a little further to the finish line it seems ..but i'd like the peace of mind when i'm crusin down the road on holidays with me girl :)
healthy motoring to ye all
danny

well i supose i should give an up date on my progress... as predicted by the boys with the knowladge, i had been nearing total destruction due to a wobbeling cranksprocket... when i stripped things back the sprocket had nearly said goodbye to the notch which sits into the keyway on the nose of the crank(which had also suffered a little), only half of the notch was left, thankfully i parked up when i did :) ..... so as i decided way back in november, i've refurbed my old 1.6td pump(thanks to a great post with pic by pic detail of a bosch ve pump being rebuilt),which after some more cutting and grinding of the 1.9 belt cover back plate, is now snugly bolted to the block... i got a clutched pulley for the alternator... a new cranksprocket.....and i gave the nose of the crank a little taptap, very subtle like :D .. next stage is to time this mutant baby of mine up... i'll let the world know how things go over the week or so... wish i luck
danny
dannyvbrowne
Glow Plug

Post by dannyvbrowne »

hello again to all....
just to let ye know how things went, the timing an tuning of the original 1.6td injector pump took a bit of paitents,but i now have the process down 4 or 5min :), out with the expansion tank, off with the belt cover, then the fun paitents bit, as i work it alone, lining up the two large access holes in the IP pully with the two lower nuts on the pump is a bit like playing the slots,selecting neutral i just give a quick turn of the key and hope for the best, walk back to the rear and have a look, first time it took only 3 goes, it's varied between those 3 and 16 times, anyway,loosen those two nuts, then with a 14mm and 17mm spanner i slightly loosen the injector lines,then loosen the top forward and lower rear nuts,now it'll turn easy..in the end i arrived adout three pencil lines from roughly central starting point :lol: :lol:..no gauge.... its just a case of move a little forward(toward the head) and go for a spin.. i hit it about 6oc this evening... the power is amazing,steep hills and headwind no longer effect her, it just power all the way up!!!!! quiet,smokeless,fast and it seems wobble free (the new timing belt crank sprocket and clutch pulley on the alternator seem to be staying put)............

i'm grinning from ear to ear, and will be for many many miles all being well

happy motoring to ye all

Danny
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Got the hillbilly tuning figured out.
Glad it's running and reliable.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.