Odd oil pressure ?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Odd oil pressure ?

Post by WAgrower »

Ok so since replacing the oil pan gasket, I've been getting some odd pressure readings.
First at start up I'll see it @90-110 (normal) then in about 10sec it will be reading 40-50, and about 10sec later reading 20psi (which was my normal idle pressure at temperature). Usualy it would take about 2-3min for the pressure to drop from 100 to 20 when starting the van cold.
Then while driving it rarely moves above 30- any RPM range. Normally it would ride between 20-60 depending on RPMs. I also don't see it reacting with the engine, the psi seemes to be somewhat random, it will try to keep up but just doesn't move much.
I check the oil level often now and doest make a difference if it's at the top of the range or towards the bottom. I'm also not leaking much oil. Still a small ooze by the cooler bracket, but less then 1/2qt a month.

When I dropped the pan I wiped up the gasket sealant and sprayed the screen with some brake cleaner. The pan was clean and dry when I installed it, and I did re-use about 2/3 of the oil I drained out (into a fresh clean dry pan).
I'm thinking of doing an oil change just to see if that clears up the problem (and to fix the leak) but before I do should I be looking for anything else?
Thanks!
82 Westy with an 85 1.6TD
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Odd oil pressure ?

Post by 82vdub »

WAgrower wrote:When I dropped the pan I wiped up the gasket sealant and sprayed the screen with some brake cleaner.
Where was this gasket sealant that you wiped up, and why did you spray the pickup screen with brake cleaner? My first thought when reading the beginning of the post was that you used RTV silicone sealant and pieces of it came loose and is clogging the pickup screen. Many engines have been wiped out from this happening.

I'd try changing the oil to see if for some reason that solves it.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

The gasket sealant I wiped up was from the old gasket; red RTV type. I used "the right stuff" sealant with the new gasket.
I cleaned the screen because the bently said to do so.

I should say the sender is on the head; not sure if that makes much difference.
Thanks
rdezsofi
Glow Plug

Post by rdezsofi »

1. 20seconds is pretty fast to go from 90-100 down to 20 psi on a cold engine. It sounds even too fast for an engine with bad intermediate shaft bearings. I'm inclined to think you have some of that red rtv stuck in an oil passage, or in the pick up tube. Did you remove the pick up tube to clean it? Or just spray it with brake cleaner? Better pull the oil pump and do a close examination while you have the pan off. I'd also pull the oil filter and blow compressed air from the oil pump side of the port to the filter flange....see if you get a glob of rtv.

2. You're sender could simply be bad.....

3. You may very well have a bad bearing with excessive clearance. Check the above first, change the oil and use a Mann or Wix filter....not one of the cheap orange ones.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

I agree the 20 sec is way too fast; that's what tipped me off something was wrong.

I cleaned the hell out of the pan and the old gasket, pulled the screen to clean it. The pan is on so I can't pull the pump just yet. I'll do a filter and oil change monday and see where that lands me.

I only use Mann oil filters :wink:
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Ok bad sender unit :roll:
assumed it was working and it bit me in the butt! came across an extra gauge and sender I had and figured it was the one thing I hadn't tested...

New one is in and working well!
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

WAgrower wrote:Ok bad sender unit :roll:
assumed it was working and it bit me in the butt! came across an extra gauge and sender I had and figured it was the one thing I hadn't tested...

New one is in and working well!
I hate when it ends up being something simple!
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

The thought never occured to me to check this. I've had one go bad on a Chevy truck before, so I should have remembered it. Glad it was an easy fix.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count