new timing belt little issue.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bbob203
Turbo Charger

Re: new timing belt little issue.

Post by bbob203 »

Really apreciate all the help and advice from you gents.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

bbob203 wrote:Ok so I've gathered this is how I pull this job off..
1. Get engine to tdc using flywheel marker and cam position.
2. Mark ip position Loosen ip bolts rotate ip toward head slightly.
3. Retighten ip bolts.
4. Loosen and retighten fittings on injector lines to releive the tension from rotating the ip.
5. Replace cover and fire it up.
Yep!
You can skip step one if you are not using a gauge. :D
(I also leave the cover off until I know the machine is starting/running well.)

If you go hardcore-hillbilly, you leave the bolts just loose enough and move the IP while the engine is running and listen to the tone of the clatter... when it gets sharper ("marbles"), you can back off to the cusp of that point, shutdown and tighten the bolts. Then test for power, smoke, clatter, hotstart and coldstart.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

The guy is a great mechanic with an awesome reputation. I think he is more of a benz guy though considering he owns three of them. Though I do believe he was a cert. Vw tech at one point. Did timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat and new vbelts for 325 incl parts all oem german manf. Stuff. Oh yea and a crank seal.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

bbob203 wrote:The guy is a great mechanic with an awesome reputation. I think he is more of a benz guy though considering he owns three of them. Though I do believe he was a cert. Vw tech at one point. Did timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat and new vbelts for 325 incl parts all oem german manf. Stuff. Oh yea and a crank seal.
Sounds pretty good.

Again, if all other attributes are fine (power, smoke, starting, starting, etc.), but the idle/vibration is too low for your liking, you can easily adjust the idle stop.

Does it smooth with a bit of pedal?
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you're just advancing the pump, there's no need to do step #1. That's for messing with the timing belt, which you won't be doing when you're just rotating the IP.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

I think it still has something to be desired as far as performance and startup. The throttle cable has no adjustment left in it. I figure as long as I mark it not much I can screw up?
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

Went out this morning yanked my cold start hit the glow plugs one key turn fired up no roughness no smoke. Temp is 52 degrees unseasonably warm here. Seems if ita 40 or below the starts a more rough and smoke is more prevelant.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
coke

Post by coke »

I would definitely advance the timing.
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

For what it's worth, I got to check my buddy's Vanagon pump with the dial gauge and compare the difference between the cold start lever pulled and the cold start lever stowed. It knocks the timing out by about 0.30mm.

We found out by setting the timing with the CS pulled by accident. Ran like p00p. Checked the timing and it was waaaaay retardend, read at about 0.45 (NA). Re-timed with the CS handle stowed and compared the difference between it pulled - got 0.55 or so to 0.85. That's a huge difference, and in our case was more than a tooth on the timing belt. Couldn't advance the pump enough without it running in to the injection lines.
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
coke

Post by coke »

You can pull the timing belt off the IP and turn the sprocket forward 1 tooth and put the belt back on it. Some people have to do this to achieve proper timing. I always time by near, never by dial, but there are some people out there who say it has to be done with a dial. I prefer to drive it and advance/retard based on what it feels like and sounds like, smoke output, starting, etc.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

vanbcguy wrote:For what it's worth, I got to check my buddy's Vanagon pump with the dial gauge and compare the difference between the cold start lever pulled and the cold start lever stowed. It knocks the timing out by about 0.30mm.

We found out by setting the timing with the CS pulled by accident. Ran like p00p. Checked the timing and it was waaaaay retardend, read at about 0.45 (NA). Re-timed with the CS handle stowed and compared the difference between it pulled - got 0.55 or so to 0.85. That's a huge difference, and in our case was more than a tooth on the timing belt. Couldn't advance the pump enough without it running in to the injection lines.
0.3 x 39 thou = 11 thou.
@ operating point on the pump cam, every 5 thou is one tooth on flywheel 'advance'; thus advance is 2 teeth.
Every flywheel tooth is 2.73 degrees thus lever pull is 5.4 degrees. However adjacent parts of the cam curve is only 4 thou per tooth. so advance is indeed nearer 5 degrees [crank].

To not know all this is understandable, but to not know that coldstart pull affects static timing [for this thread owner's mechanic is almost unforgivable. Free retiming in order IMO]
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

Quantum-man wrote:
vanbcguy wrote:For what it's worth, I got to check my buddy's Vanagon pump with the dial gauge and compare the difference between the cold start lever pulled and the cold start lever stowed. It knocks the timing out by about 0.30mm.

0.3 x 39 thou = 11 thou.
@ operating point on the pump cam, every 5 thou is one tooth on flywheel 'advance'; thus advance is 2 teeth.
Every flywheel tooth is 2.73 degrees thus lever pull is 5.4 degrees. However adjacent parts of the cam curve is only 4 thou per tooth. so advance is indeed nearer 5 degrees [crank].

To not know all this is understandable, but to not know that coldstart pull affects static timing [for this thread owner's mechanic is almost unforgivable. Free retiming in order IMO]
Yeah it was more of a situation of "OK, we're done! Let's start it up! Awwwwww crap, the CS handle was out...."

I thought he'd checked, he didn't think to check. So the dial gauge went back in, hence the measurements... :) Engine was re-timed properly and then started/ran/didn't fog out the neighbourhood. :-D
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When it's running/starting and close enough to the sweet spot:
I paint the area near the top front bolt, the easy one to get to, paint it right at the junction of the bracket and pump.
This is so the scribed line can be seen.

Mark it then turn the top of the pump toward the engine just the width of a pencil line.

Tighten it down and test drive.
Rinse and repeat if needed.
A bit of Hagar-style hillbilly tuning.
With a Rabbit I don't even have to remove the upper timing belt cover,.. can't remember if the A2s have a hole for the lower bolt.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

Advanced ip. adj'd throttle runs like it should! Went hardcore hillbilly on it loosend pump fired up the engine and adjusted it that way. As for my throttle I had no more adjustment left in it so I went to lowes and bought some rubber washers and cut them and put 3 between the clip and the throttle cable housing carrier worked like a charm.
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Hillbilly 1st Class.

May the spirit of Hagar smile upon you.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg