Another tach question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

godsend789
Glow Plug

Another tach question

Post by godsend789 »

I have read through some of the past post's and could not find a real answer on a tach for a diesel...
First off regarding Dakota Digital tach it say's something about not working with 86-91 VW Vanagon's and other similar models Why will it not work? I have a 85 jetta diesel N/A with a W terminal did they not use the same diesel engine in the Vanagon's? Will it work for me??? Any one use it and how well does it work? Regarding the Tiny-Tach i understand it some how hooks to the injector line i went to there web site and found that they have two sizes a 6mm and a 1/4 in. transducer witch would my car use? I already have a gauge mounted on my dash that is not hooked up so Dakota (unless Tiny-Tach works better) looks like what i would want especially for it being under $70 on eBay. that and i plan on hooking up a cruse control to my jetta Audiovox CCS100 looks to be the way to go. thanks for the help!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: Another tach question

Post by bscutt »

I have the tiny tach and love it. Use the 6mm version
Of course you don't get the visual representation of an analog needle swinging up but it seems to reflect rpm very well and the update rate is fine
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
godsend789
Glow Plug

Post by godsend789 »

i have heard good things about it too. Two questions can it go on any injector line and does the tine tach have any outputs for like another gauge or anything?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

It can go on any injector line since it's just counting pulses for each engine rev. To my knowledge there are no outputs, at least nothing connectorized.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

I love my Autometer Diesel Sport Comp Tach. It comes with the leads and pickup to wrap around your alternator, so you don't need a W terminal. Then just fire her up and calibrate it through the back. Done!