Camshaft

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

Warvet05
Glow Plug

Camshaft

Post by Warvet05 »

I hope someone can help me. I need a camshaft for my 1990 Jetta Diesel 1.6L nonturbo. It was made in Germany and has the Wolfsburg engine. I have been trying to find one online but i have only been able to find ones for a gasoline engine. Or will a camshaft out of the turbo 1.9L i think work. the only difference should be the intake manifold the turbo and a little bigger oil pan for the cooling of the turbo right????????????? help please and thank you.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Re: Camshaft

Post by the man 53 »

Find out your engine code. If the engine is stock in the car it will be a hydro engine...any hydro cam shaft will work. As long as you don't put a Mech cam in you can use a cam from a diesel 1.6 and 1.9aaz. The mech cam will work, but it could wreck your valves in 50,000miles. The ramp angles are different and it can cause trouble. I think the base circle is different too.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

In a pinch, a 1.9TDI camshaft will work too. Only the AHU or 1Z out of the B4 passat and MK3 Jetta/golf. You can get them new for about $100.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Oh really?
First I've heard of that.
You say in a pinch because it's not an exact replacement and is different but will work orrr...
because it cost $100 and he might be able to find a used one cheaper?

I have heard of some of the stock 1.6 hydro cams chipping out,.. maybe just mexican made ones.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

it is different and will work. It is built more for emissions than for go. You also don't want to swap mechanical and hydraulic cams as the profile is different and after several thousand *closer to 75,000* my head builder says it could snap and cause more trouble. Has to do with the vibrations resonating.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Fatmobile wrote:Oh really?
First I've heard of that.
You say in a pinch because it's not an exact replacement and is different but will work orrr...
because it cost $100 and he might be able to find a used one cheaper?

I have heard of some of the stock 1.6 hydro cams chipping out,.. maybe just mexican made ones.

I ran a German-made FEBI camshaft for the 1.9 AHU/1Z motor used up until 1998. I put it in my 1.6NA hydro engine (I snapped the nose off the original camshaft and couldn't find a decent replacement). It ran fine, but low end power seemed a bit off.