Cam Timing Sprocket Keyway Pin?

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Cam Timing Sprocket Keyway Pin?

Post by fj40dave »

so....I'm putting the cam timing gear on the cam shaft, and there's a keyway slot in it, and there's a rusty spot on the gear internal surface where the two were together before.....but, I can't find a keyway pin in my removed parts stuff.....and, I'm pretty meticulous about keeping stuff together (not loosing parts)...

Is there sposta be a keyway pin?

coke

Re: Cam Timing Sprocket Keyway Pin?

Post by coke »

No key on the camshaft. Just a keyway cut there to fool people. Put it together as is. Clean up the rusty stuff on the cam and sprocket mating areas though, they should me immaculate.
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

coke wrote:No key on the camshaft. Just a keyway cut there to fool people. Put it together as is. Clean up the rusty stuff on the cam and sprocket mating areas though, they should me immaculate.
AWESOME....thank you so much.....I thought I was loosing my mind about misplacing a pin!

I'll clean that internal surface up very well, and get the belt on next!
coke

Post by coke »

Be a good idea to leave the camp sprocket loose on the taper some so when you tension the belt up, it doesn't move the cam. They have a tendency to do that when you have had the pulley off.
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

I did leave it loose.....and it sure helped with getting the belt on, that buggar was tight!

Ran outa time to do anything else though....dinner.

Any other tips on timing (I have the Bently and the write-up Vince Waldon put together. I'm doing this with the motor on the bench at this point.
coke

Post by coke »

As long as the crank and cam are at TDC, you're set. The pump has a mark in the sprocket that can be lined up with the hash mark on the plate it attaches to to get it in the ball park, and finite timing can be done after the engine is started by advancing or retarding the timing.
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

I can't wait to get it back in the Dasher and fired up.....!

Thank You for your help....I really appreciate it :)