Extended road trip, how would you prepare?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Extended road trip, how would you prepare?

Post by CarlosA »

I`d like to start a topic to see how everyone would prepare if they were taking their old diesel car on a very long road trip.

I have a newer Jeep Grand Cherokee that does this sort of thing well, but i`d really like to considering using the Rabbit more.

Not only would fuel be cheaper, but it would also be a more interesting trip I think.

So lets say you are planning a 7000-8000 mile trip from the lower 48 up into Alaska with mixed graded roads and paved highways. What would you take? What would you do to your car beforehand?
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Re: Extended road trip, how would you prepare?

Post by CarlosA »

I have a long list of common sense things i`d do, but some of the more interesting are:

Put the stock skid plate back on the engine oil pan!
Run new steel fuel hard lines inside the cab rather than underneath.

And some of the things i`d take are:

Extra clutch cable and install kit
Extra hoses - either all of them or one that is pre bent that could be cut to fit multiple places
Roll of electrical wire and obvious terminals
Plenty of "the right stuff" for sealing things
Tire repair kit and second spare, some sort of small pump

Some of the tools:

Normal end wrenches that fit everything
One set of sockets 8mm through 23mm deep
Ratcheting crimp tool for electrical
Timing tools
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Socket-set and Flexy-wrenches: 10mm-19mm
Channel-lock pliers
Spare belts: Alt/AC/PS three of each.
1gal ATF, small funnel
1 litre PowerService 911
1gal coolant
1gal 5w-40 motor oil
Safety/first-aid kit

AAA+ membership (100mi towing, 4x)
Unlimited Roadside Assistance (Progressive Ins.)

I carry all that stuff anyway. :oops:

Strongly suggest prep:
Engine heater
All new hoses/belts
Balance and Alignment
Brake shoes & pads
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

full size spare.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

Fire Extinguisher (bigger than your average store bought) and a good first aid kit.
Warm blanket(s) and a gallon of water per person, and protein bar(s).
Box of matches and some newspaper.
Add a 27mm deep (fuel injector) socket to the previously mentioned tools!
Cell phone charger
Flash Light with spare batteries
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Replacing the belts, hoses etc with good new one's is a good place to start. Pretty much do as much pre-maintenance as you can. I've taken my Rabbit all over the country and had very few problems. It only takes one thing though on the road that no matter what you bring, you can't fix it. The wire and tools and fluids are good things to take. I've always brought an empty jug in case I've needed water, and I have needed to find it twice on the road before.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Corlebra
Glow Plug

Post by Corlebra »

Honestly, I'd just buy a plane ticket. My car has been so enreliable since day one. I foolishly made several 200-500 mile road trips with it. The only thing to break down on the road is the stupid alternator tensioner, but after replacing the bolts that kept falling out with stronger bolts, lock tight, and lock washers I haven't had any problems.

2 days ago my reman'd alternator started grinding itself away though.

If I didn't have bad luck, i wouldn't have any.
91 ECOdiesel- Coilovers - MBC - 30yo 1.6 powerplant :(
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

wouldn't hurt to take a tarp with you either just in case you have to fix something in the rain or pitch a tent somewhere. and zip ties can forget those!
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I think what it comes down to are a couple things. How reliable is your car to begin with, and what are you willing to deal with on the road if you have to in a situation that's maybe not very pleasant? I am blessed with a very reliable running vehicle, or vehicles. I've driven old beaters my whole life and am used to fixing them and figuring out which one's to stay away from "before" I purchase them. I guess I've been blessed with that gift. If I had a vehicle that wasn't so reliable, I would question taking a 385k mile 30 year old vehicle on a 3000 mile road trip. Plus, being married changes things if/when things break.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Lots of great info here, seems like this sort of trip could really work.

I`m adding to my list:

2 snow tires. Because I want to have two spares anyway, and I already have a set of snow tires. They may come in handy in the North anyway.
supersisu
Diesel Freak

Post by supersisu »

I usually try to drive my car as much and as hard as I can while near my home, the idea is that I want to break anything that is wearing out when I won't have to walk too far. MK1 diesels have a limited number of crucial mechanical and electrical systems, if they are relatively new and maintained well, you effectively have a new car (perhaps more reliable than a new car, my parents Mercedes C-class was towed three times in the first couple years that they owned it). My 1981 Rabbit, while honestly not the most beautiful car on the planet, was almost completely rebuilt over a period of several years. I could list all the new parts, but I'll just say everything except the transmission! No problems going across country anytime I wanted to until the Ford Explorer turned left in front of me.

Buy a complete hose kit from Jack and of course take survival gear, a couple belts, complete tool kit, etc.
1981 Rabbit "Rosebud" (smashed-up parts car)
1980 Caddy 4 spd "Buttercup"
1983 Jetta 5 spd
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

A lot has been put forth here.
However, I don't really see anyone saying anything (unless I missed it) about renewing the seals in the trans (output flanges) or going through the driveshafts (boots, cv joint check, cleaning, and repacking cv's and checking the front spindle bearings). Nor did I see servicing the rear bearings, or brake cylinders or stuff like that. This is all really common high-mileage VW type stuff. I also always pack a spare alternator on a daily basis....but, that is just me. I have driven these junkers for decades (since '79 (gulp)) and I have a pretty good idea as to what their weak points are.

Would this trip be by yourself? Or a spouse? The reason I ask, is that several of my cars have had the rear seat removed to accommodate my lifestyle. One Golf actually has the passenger front seat out as well so I can carry engine bottom ends and trans and all kinds of tools and such. But, that is just me. Do my rigs look dirty and all crapped out? No, because you can do all this stuff and still have nice stuff...it's all how you do it.

Just remember, long-distance travel and packing a lot of stuff carries with it serious weight and space considerations. Also, you have to consider what would happen if you were in a collision.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Now that so much has been said i`m going to shed a little more light on my situation. I kind of expected the topic to take off to the extremes of preparation, imagining some "preppers" who would weigh down their car or take a trailer with a cherry picker and spare engine. lol

I appreciate every post, everything said means a lot and has really gotten me thinking about the extremes of such a trip.

If I pull this off it`ll be a 3-4 week trek starting early July.
Myself and my girlfriend who is very tolerant of these sorts of things.
My dog.
We are already geared up as ultralight backpackers so as far as surviving goes we`d be self contained in our backpacks and probably camping most of the trip.
I do have a fulltime tool bag thats been built up and mostly converted to metric over the last 10 years. Same bag has ridden through the rubicon with me and one of my Jeeps, and has made several cross country trips, once in a beat down old cherokee that had "death wobble" at anything over 55 mph.

So many good points here, and some things that i`ve never bothered with on my car. DakotaKid you are right about seals, bearings, and CV's - I haven't looked at any of these since I got my car. Car has 317k miles and was meticulously maintained by the original owner from day one, however he wasn't necessarily naturally knowledgeable and i`ve been fixing mistakes since June.

My back seat is out, but i`d likely use it to separate the cargo from the dog, lol. I`d try not to go overkill on cargo but backpacks, tools, water, fluids and a few spares plus 2 full spares would just about fill it up!

And lastly, it wouldn`t be a big deal to just jump in the Cherokee and make a beeline for Alaska, but that is boring!
dirtroad
Cetane Booster

Post by dirtroad »

I think either an auxillary fuel tank or at least a five gallon jug of diesel would be handy. I've got a 30 gallon tank that I would like to put in the bed of my pickup. That would give me a range of over 1500 miles without stopping for fuel.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

dirtroad wrote:I think either an auxillary fuel tank or at least a five gallon jug of diesel would be handy. I've got a 30 gallon tank that I would like to put in the bed of my pickup. That would give me a range of over 1500 miles without stopping for fuel.
That would be awesome on some trips for sure.

I`d start to wonder if i`m carrying so much gear that i`m no longer getting the mileage I expected.