1998 vw jetta diesel emssion test in missouri

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

ginger
Glow Plug

1998 vw jetta diesel emssion test in missouri

Post by ginger »

can used some help on a emission test for this car in Missouri I have a 1998 vw jetta diesel TDI and the safety test pass, but on the emission test it come up and fail with a EGR/VVT: Not Completed All other stuff pass. Does any know what this is, and how to get it to pass. I live in Ofallon Missouri and the car run go but I need to get pass the emission deal.
Thank You Bruce
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 1998 vw jetta diesel emssion test in missouri

Post by 82vdub »

EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, I'm not sure what the WT stands for. It could be Wide open Throttle test. You may want to contact your vehicle mechanic and ask them what that error code means and they may be able to tell you more.

Here's your emissions testing requirements: http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/curre ... 0c10-5.pdf and here's some additional information: http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/help.php
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Methinks VVT is variable valve timing.

The emissions test is using the OBD to determine if the car is compliant. The most likely issue is a clogged EGR (or bad O2 sensor?). In any case, the car will need to be fixed or tweeked to run without triggering the code. It may still fail if they are using the tailpipe sensor, but the linked file leads me to think they just use the OBD.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm going to move this post over to the TDI fora.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
ginger
Glow Plug

Post by ginger »

I will try and clean up the EGR value this weekend and talk with the repair shop to see what else I can do. The first time the emission was done was with the plug in the car. Also I read some were that if the radio was change that it will not pass because the radio help store some of the code. Is this right or not????
Bruce
Redneck truck
Glow Plug

Post by Redneck truck »

Immediately suspect any vacuum lines that are used to operate the system. A leaking vacuum line will result in an inoperative EGR valve that the computer thinks is working, thus throwing an insufficient flow code. No variable valve timing on these engines, but I'd be interested to see what the VVT stands for. Variable vane turbocharger, maybe? But a 98 ought to have a wastegate. Replace every vacuum line before you troubleshoot any further. It'll only cost you about $10 and a couple hours of your time (if you're careful), and it will likely cure a host of little gremlins you didn't even know you had.