1.6 TD What valve Lifters?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jkuehn
Glow Plug

1.6 TD What valve Lifters?

Post by jkuehn »

I have a VW Quantum engine, 1.6 Turbo Diesel and I don't know if it has mechanical or hydraulic valve lifters. Can anybody tell me how to check this? Thanks!
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.6 TD What valve Lifters?

Post by 82vdub »

A mechanical lifter engine will have one oil drain slot that is between injectors #2 and #3 in the head. The pic in the middle of this thread of the head viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10723&start=30 is a mechanical head. See the vertical line in the head inbetween the injector bosses that leads to a hole at the base of the head? The pic of the block just below the pic of the head is that of a hydraulic lifter block that has two oil drain holes from the head, one between #1 and #2 injector, and the one between #2 and #3 injector. This particular pic is that of someone using a mechanical head on a hydraulic block.

Also see this pic of my mechanical head motor that only has the one oil return bump out in the head: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8514
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

jkuehn wrote:I have a VW Quantum engine, 1.6 Turbo Diesel and I don't know if it has mechanical or hydraulic valve lifters. Can anybody tell me how to check this? Thanks!
Yep, best way to check is for the two oil drain holes at the front. Else, just pull the valve cover and look at the cam followers. Solid head has shims, hydro's are one piece.
92 Golf coverted to diesel.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

And with that, it reminded me that some aftermarket heads were cast with the two vertical ribs for the drain holes, but if it was a mechanical head, only one of those passages were drilled out. However, OEM VW heads didn't have this quirk to them.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Thus one vertical ridge by the injectors then it is mechanical, two ridges non VW brand and it may still be mechanical.
Also, mech valve covers didn't have vertical hole for plastic vent valve. They had horizontal pipe fitting.

Only sure way is to lift valve cover and check for shims.
If no splash guard under cover you may be able to check through oil filler...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)