Starting swap today..

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Re: Starting swap today..

Post by coke »

Make sure the drivers side seatbelt is attached to the door.
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

I didn't remove the seat belt.. is there not two wires I need to jump so the car thinks it's in park?

a2resource doesn't have the relay 92, which has the wires going to the auto shifter on it.
92 Golf coverted to diesel.
coke

Post by coke »

I have zero experience with the automatics, so I won't be much help. I know there was a relay that caused the starter to not engage if the seatbelt wasn't hooked to the door (later model A2s) which is why I suggested it.

With a VOM, you should be able to determine what the switch does when in park or neutral to allow the starter to engage and duplicate the effect. Did you find wires under the auto shifter box on the floor board?
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

yeah, well my manual shift box is in there now. There was a relay attached to the auto shifter and I cut the wires thinking I could just jump two of them. I know there are reverse lights there as well. I was trying to get a voltage down there with the key in start position but I could only find a switched 12v when the key was turned to the on position.

What I've finding confusing is the a2resource has a "starter" wire, indicated as red/black coming out of the fusebox. But I have a pure red wire coming out of that spot going to a relay (which isn't on a2resource), which then the starters red/black wire comes out of. So, from the relay some wires go through the firewall and the others go to the auto shift box. So, just gotta figure out which to bypass.
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

IT'S ALIVE!!

Just spliced two BIG RED and BIG RED/BLACK wires together and it bypassed the whole system. I had it figured out last night but stupid me had the signal wire unhooked from the starter and forgot about it! Was tired.

Having trouble getting the lines primed.. ideas? I think it might be cause I have no check valve.. think this could cause the fuel to be draining back to the tank every time it stalls out?
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

i removed my check valve and havent had any problems.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

I removed that long time ago.. thought not having it was giving me problems.

Turns out to be that gasser fuel sender.. LOTS of air, intank pump must have crapped out.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yes, on the gassers there can be a rubber hose going from the pickup to the pump,
that deteriorates.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

Alright...

Got my CE2 diesel cluster today.. so, my question is....

For wiring up the tach.. do I run the wires from the W plug to:
A2/06 Alternator (W Terminal, Diesel only) Tachometer Red/Black (diesel only)

in the CE2 fusebox? Or will it not go anywhere cause the car used to be gas.

Or do I run it to:
F/09 Auto. Trans. Control Module Tachometer Signal Red/Black

Which is where the gas/auto would have been getting it's tach signal from.

Ideas?

Edit: One more thing.. how do I go about adding a wire into the plug that goes into the fusebox anywho?

Edit edit: Okay, well A2/06 doesn't have a wire.. obviously.. and it doesn't make the tach work when connected to the W terminal.

F/09 made the tach move up a tiny bit. But there it just stays there.. off the needle, but no moving or reacting to rpm.

Damn.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Are you 100% certain the tach works?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

Can't be 100%.. the guy I bought it from says it did in his car.. but you know how that is.. I need to know if I have it wired correctly first?

I think if the alternator is connected to the old gasser tach signal it should work? Only reason I think it might not.. is because gasser manuals get signal from the distributor, right? And the automatic got it from the trans.. I think? Adds to the mystery.. Well, getting it sorted will probably be on the weekend.. maybe Fatmobile can chime in.. not sure if his swap was auto gasser to diesel though..
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm just guessing the cluster already has the w terminal wired into it,.. for the dynamic low oil pressure warning light.

Dynamic means basically hows the oil pressure at 2000 RPM.
I believe the engine speed for this is determined by the w terminal, even on a gasser,.. but I could be wrong.
The gasser alternator had something plugged into the w terminal right? At least I think they do.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

No, it didn't. Although it has a W plug.. but the mounting flange of the alternator is inverted compared to the diesel one.. damn, the gasser alt is much newer, can the plates be swapped.

I think someone helped me figure where the wire needs to go.. just wire it right into the tach signal going into the cluster. Green wire after looking at a2resource.. will give it a shot tomorrow and hope that I didn't burn out my tach from wiring up to the coil's negative.
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

Yep, looks as though she's dead.

Just one more thing to add to the list now. *facepalm
steevz
Diesel Freak

Post by steevz »

Well, replacing my injectors finally over from my NA ones to my TD ones. #2 injector "right after running the car" was dry. The other 3 have diesel on them, also the heat shield is so FCKN stuck in the base! I don't think that injector was working properly.. thought my mileage was kinda low.. can't wait to finish swapping these out.

Well, the reason it was stuck .... there is a chip out of the heatshield seat. Allowing carbon to buildup around the heatshield.. and possibly into the injector? Guess I need to get my other heads valves replaced.