Wheel bearings

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Wheel bearings

Post by coke »

Front wheel bearings, Pex or FAG? I can get the Pex in a kit which contains nuts, bolts, the big clip for the bearing, etc. or FAG by itself.

Just wondering if Pex > FAG, or FAG > Pex, and what kinda reviews you forum goers have on them.
damac
Diesel Freak

Re: Wheel bearings

Post by damac »

I put fag on my jetta after I brought it home and replaced all the suspension, then got it aligned. 30,000+ miles in a year and a half and all seems to be ok?
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

my fags came with everything.w seem to be lasting well.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

had poor luck with both, but worse with the pex and rear wheel bearings. I go Timkin and never an issue since. Replaced both pex and fag under 40,000 miles.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

X 2 for Timken.
J.R.
SoCal
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

You're talking spindle bearings....right?
I don't think I have ever used anything BUT FAG-brand and have done very well. Usually 180,000 miles or so until play shows up. However, all the spindle bearings I buy are usually old-stock items off forums, and, at THAT time of manufacture, all of these were made in Europe instead of fish head and rice land.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
coke

Post by coke »

Interesting. Well my regular parts guy can't chime in till tomorrow. I tried finding some info on Pex, wasn't able to find much. It has to be better than carquest/napa which lasted less than 10k miles. But, I've also heard from an experienced VW mechanic that a lot of garages do not take time and care when pressing the new ones in, such as cleaning the bore (and ridge maybe? Can't remember).

Hopefully he'll tell me which ones he used. He only has one of the kits in stock and he hasn't gotten back to me on what brand they are. So, I'm holding off on ordering my rack/tie rods/boots/ball joints / etc till he tells me what he's been using because I've never had a set fail that he pressed in.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

You used the terms: front, pressed in, and big clip. So, this has to be spindle bearings. What does the owner of this site sell (diplomacy intact)?

10,000 miles on a spindle bearing....yikes! I hear China a-callin' on that one!!!
Three possibilities to cause negatives installing spindle bearings.
1) pressing the new ones in at an angle causing a bind (out-of-round) condition in the race once it has been installed.

2) sloppily damaging the fragile grease seals with installation.

3) using too much force or force at an angle while pressing out the old bearings actually causing an out-of-round condition in the spindle. (Apply ballastic pressure (steel-toed boot) to the center of the person's butt who was running the press in this case!)

Usually, you don't need new c-clips if you know how to run a steel brush and some penetrating oil. I always apply a light coating of grease to the spindle bores before coming in with the new bearing. I have also taken some time to heat the spindle with a torch first...but, you have to press the new one in VERY fast for this to help much. Generally, this not brain-surgery type stuff.

EDIT: I'm still confused if you are talking little rear wheel bearings or front spindle bearings...If we are talking rear wheel bearings.....by all means go with Timken if you have access. The reason I am confused is that you are saying "nuts" are included? I would honestly avoid chinese bearings like the plague. I don't think their hardened surfaces are worth a poop.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
coke

Post by coke »

I was in a rush and needed it done. My dad took the steering knuckles off and took them to a local garage who told me he'd do it for 35 bucks or something. It was a long time ago.

My guess is a lot of care wasn't exercised when it was done. The other guy I get my parts from and sometimes have work done through did it once and I never had an issue after that. So, it was either cheap chinese bearings (which they were), or done incorrectly (im not sure). I guess they're spindle bearings?

Big wide flat ball bearing deals that gotta be pressed into the knuckle.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Some fools press on the center of the bearing to get the outside edge to slide into the hub.
That shortens the life.
I take an old outer bearing shell with me, with some of the leading edge ground so it doesn't stick in the bore along with the new bearing.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I take an old outer bearing shell with me, with some of the leading edge ground so it doesn't stick in the bore along with the new bearing.
I think a person should whack the bearing shell out, grind it and give it to who ever is installing the bearings or do it your self. A lot of times the bearing is being blame when in fact it was poor installation. If the center is pressed it can mark your races and rollers. I've had them fail 5000km later. Now I always take a ground down shell with me.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/