198? Water Pump Pulley different?

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

fj40dave
Cetane Booster

198? Water Pump Pulley different?

Post by fj40dave »

Well....putting this 198(2?) NA 1.6 motor back together, and found out that the new water pump has a smaller mounting surface than the original one :shock:

Any suggestions on a fix.....like, where do I get a pulley that fits the one that's smaller and already installed?
(ok..I know I can go to the "wanted" section..... :D )

coke

Re: 198? Water Pump Pulley different?

Post by coke »

I believe the big hub was used on some of the early 80s dashers/rabbits. Just grab the pulleys off a later model a1. Should work fine. Or, take it off and get the big hub one. :)
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

gotta start the search for one I suppose....suggestions? (I could try the local wrecking yard, not too confident though)
coke

Post by coke »

I believe by 84 the rabbit was using the small hub water pump. It shit and miss. You can tell easy enough though. Just be sure to grab the crankshaft pulley too, more pulleys the better. Always good to have a wide variety to chose from.

Had I known you needed one 6 months ago, I wouldn't have liquidated all my pulley stock and given it to the local garage. ;)
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

Had I known you needed one 6 months ago, I wouldn't have liquidated all my pulley stock and given it to the local garage. ;)[/quote]

yer killin me here :mrgreen:

I'll start the hunt first thing in the morning (after I get to work, of course!)
fj40dave
Cetane Booster

Post by fj40dave »

Well....bought a new early pump - actually, just traded the pump I had for the early one.
Turns out the pulley off-set is different, and not interchangeable belt alignment wise.

I went to Car-Part.com and it asked to specify if I had the 30mm or 40mm pump.
I think I'll look there for some of the parts to see if there is a difference - but who'da thunk there would be ??? (yep, a newby here, not knowing until now :-)))