Fuel Leak

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Fuel Leak

Post by uzzo2 »

Hey guys, I have a problem with my 86 golf diesel leaking fuel when you fill it all the way to the top. I took the inspection cover off to look at where the sending unit goes into the tank. Looks like that's where it's coming from. Does anyone know if there's a gasket there or not?
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Fuel Leak

Post by 82vdub »

There is a large gasket (I think it's an O-ring) that seals the pickup tube to the tank. You should be able to replace this seal.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

82vdub wrote:There is a large gasket (I think it's an O-ring) that seals the pickup tube to the tank. You should be able to replace this seal.
Just a standard O-Ring or is it a special order item?
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I think it's more like a rubber sleave that goes down inside the opening and the sender slides into it.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I heard that item was NLA? Let me know if you find them, I would like one.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

Yes, I was the guy who said I was told by my local VW (500-pound harley-rider) parts person that the (formerly) $17 big gasket/sleeve is no longer available.

However, I do NOT think that is the case as this parts person is a lazy moron. So, please let us know if these are still "on the books" as I almost needed one just last week. They are the SAME on the gasoline Mk.II's...no different.

Eventually, these gaskets soften, rip/break down, and then allow a improper seal. Seems like the diesel is actually harder on them than the gasoline. I really bet veg oil would break them down quickly....maybe not. These seals are VERY specific and I am not sure how a guy could "engineer" one at home.

Please report back.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Anyone have a pic of this part? Wondering what exactly it is.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

Here is a used one which is still useable.
Single piece molding (?) with a bridge/connection at the top and two plies to comprise the sealing aspect.
Not at all sure how a person could produce one from scratch.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... ket003.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... ket001.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... ket002.jpg

Still need to know if they are still available. This was for Mk. II's. Maybe later stuff as well???
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Dakotakid wrote:Here is a used one which is still useable.
Single piece molding (?) with a bridge/connection at the top and two plies to comprise the sealing aspect.
Not at all sure how a person could produce one from scratch.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... ket003.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... ket001.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... ket002.jpg

Still need to know if they are still available. This was for Mk. II's. Maybe later stuff as well???
I called the closest dealer to me today and they did confirm that the part was no longer available. I know one thing, it sure did hurt my feelings when I saw $4.25 a gallon running out on the ground.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

Well, THIS is certainly a problem as the centralized rib not only acts to hold the nylon fuel pickup insert centralized, but also to keep the fuel pickup insert from falling inward (into the tank) as well.

I was hoping the later cars might have used these same items.
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Dakotakid wrote:Well, THIS is certainly a problem as the centralized rib not only acts to hold the nylon fuel pickup insert centralized, but also to keep the fuel pickup insert from falling inward (into the tank) as well.

I was hoping the later cars might have used these same items.
I tried to get the OEM part number from the guy. He told me that there's not even a part number associated with it now. I was thinking maybe I could cross it with something similar. Can anyone find out what the original part # is or was?

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?par ... =191919133

Still available from the fatherland.
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

libbybapa wrote:http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?par ... =191919133

Still available from the fatherland.
Thanks for that papa, I clicked on the link and all I could tell from it was that it was a gasket. I tried to look it up to my specific application and didn't see it listed there. I've got their phone number though. I'll call them and make sure before I order, thanks again my friend.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Diesel Freak

Hey look ya'll, I just graduated!!! :lol:

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

I just telephoned the bus depot to confirm.
The young lady said that, "...if the dealer no longer stocks these, then we won't be able to get it either. The 5 to 7 business days means we get the part from the dealer. So, no we can't help you. Do you have any salvage yards near you?"

Crap.
Thank you for trying though.