Pump choices

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Sage Root
Glow Plug

Pump choices

Post by Sage Root »

I have a new to me complete engine in my 82 Vanagon and everything is running great.
The pump that came on the engine has started to leak from the O-Ring that seals the pump to the distribution block as described here.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5311

I feel confident that I could replace the O-ring in the car but here is the question.

This is the pump that is in the van.

I also have this pump that worked great and did not leak when I pulled it less that a year ago.

I remember reading somewhere that some pumps were better than others.
Is it worth my time to try and reseal the pump in the car or should I just swap out the pumps?

Thanks
Sage
82 Westy w/ 1.6 td
coke

Re: Pump choices

Post by coke »

I think it would be easier to replace the seal on the leaking pump in vehicle, versus replacing the pump. You know the pump works fine and the engine runs good, so keep ti that way. Now, you could swap pumps, but I think it'd be more work than replacing the leaky o-ring.
Sage Root
Glow Plug

Post by Sage Root »

coke wrote:I think it would be easier to replace the seal on the leaking pump in vehicle, versus replacing the pump. You know the pump works fine and the engine runs good, so keep ti that way. Now, you could swap pumps, but I think it'd be more work than replacing the leaky o-ring.
I'll probably try it in the car if there is no preference to either of the pumps. I wonder how long the other seals are going to last though.

I found this seal kit
https://www.greaseworks.com/store/produ ... 069sf70o17
for "Bosch VE Injection Pump".

The part # for the pump that is in the van doesn't have "VE" anywhere on it while the one on the bench does. Will the seal kit work for both pumps?
$45 seems a little steep as well. Does anyone have a better source?

Thanks again
Sage
82 Westy w/ 1.6 td
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Jack, our forum sponsor doesn't carry injection pump seal kits,
but most people on here know not to link to or mention a huge online parts warehouse that sells all the parts Jack does, along with injection pump seals.

So this isn't usually the best forum to search for parts, the results have more limits that other sites.

I have always used my local bosch service center for seal sets, great guy very helpful.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.