MK1 MK2 vent windows

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: MK1 MK2 vent windows

Post by 82vdub »

You can do a search on the forum for what to do. I think it's a fairly elaborate process to swap the hinges to the rivit style.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

It's not that bad, you just swap the frames and all,.. from an '84 rabbit or something else with bolt-through wings.
I keep thinking you are talking about the rivot that holds the frame in, but I believe that is common to both frames.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

Post by 81caddyGuy »

ok soory on the answer for you. I sold my 81 caddy and it had the glued in vents that were detached from the glass. I spent a year and endless hhours on the phone with three adhesive manufacturers trying to find/ locate a glue to reattach the hinges and came up with the best one only holding for a month and you must follow the directions precicly. I went to my local pick a part yard and saw an mk2 cabrio with fixed glass. I said (profanity removed by moderator) it i am gonna try it. i took the glass and seals and they dropped right in (once i drilled out the hing frame from the 81 caddys door. the rear vent support and A pillar channels accept the seal from the cabrio. it took about 25 minutes to remove the hinge support frame and install the new glass. you have to drill the upper rivet or unscrew, depending on what it has, on the rear vent window/rollup window front track, tilt it back install the fixed seal into the front bottom corner and work it across the front and bottom of the channel. i use 100% pure glycerin (cosmetic section @ walgreens,rite aid, cvs) as lube (water soluble) in the glass grove and smear a little on the edge of the glass and work the glass into the channel starting with the bottom front corner of the glass into the front middle of the seal and work it down with adequate pressure the use plastic trim tools to get it almost the rest of the way in. them install the seal on the trailing (rear) of the glass, lube the outer seal and install the vent support/ window track and re secure. bing bang boom fixed vents!!! :D
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
DrAnonymous
Cetane Booster

Post by DrAnonymous »

So I found this on ebay -

Non Vent VW Window

I'm not sure how it would mount into an 83+ style door. Shouldn't it have a long metal piece which is riveted to the door? This looks like it just slides into the channel, but how would it stay?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

To me, that looks like glass from the MK2 Jetta, which has the fixed glass only. Maybe they're swappable? In any case, your door frame would be such to hold a fixed glass, if it originally had a fixed glass. Since the Rabbit's have the pivoting window, the frame is such so that the glass isn't held in by the frame. The Cabriolet had fixed windows. Maybe the Jetta and Cabriolet share that same fixed window, but you would have to change your frame.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

Post by 81caddyGuy »

the window seals have a lip that goes around the seam of the doors sheetmetal to hold them in place
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL