Vane stlye pump

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

greenrab
Diesel Freak

Vane stlye pump

Post by greenrab »

I posted a question about this in the general section but if anyone has a good working vane style pump that will fit my 78 1.5 I would like to take it off your hands. Just lemme know as I am unsure of what years are interchangeable. Thanks in advance,

James.
'78 4 Door Rabbit
'08 Mazdaspeed3
'07 Honda Odyssey
'77 Yamaha RD400
'81 Yamaha xs650 Chop (for sale)
'09 Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Re: Vane stlye pump

Post by libbybapa »

All the 1.6 vane pumps were the same so either all fit or none fit. I'm not up on the nuances of the 1.5 and so can't really say for certain, but I think all will fit.
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

I do not know for sure, but on another forum there is a guy "ROR" that had an engine that had a different height oil pump or something and the newer vane pump wouldn't work until he swapped out the oil pump with a newer one? I am NOT for sure how it works, but there was a thread about it. Basically the vane pump bolted in but the shaft was not spinning the oil pump. I think you can measure the gears and the oil pump drive to see. The other way the older style vac pump didn't want to bolt to newer oil pump without being very tight.

Like I said it is all memory and it isn't firsthand knowledge, so I am not 100%. But it might be something for you to look for.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Yea, there's something funky with some of the older engines and a possible issue with using a newer style vacuum pump. As the man 53 said, it's something with a longer/shorter vacuum pump shaft and a shorter/longer oil pump body/driveshaft. Only way to know for sure is to get a vane pump, and compare dimensions between the two for length of penetration into the block, and how far up inside the vacuum pump shaft the mating surface to the oil pump drive is.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
greenrab
Diesel Freak

Post by greenrab »

That's my luck... It's all good though. Think I will rebuild her one more time and while that diaphragm is ripping apart I will look for a better deal on a used one since it may or may not work. Thanks for all the info. I will be sure to measure before I slap one in there and I will post up my findings. In the mean time, if anyone has one for sale let me know. Thanks everyone.

James
'78 4 Door Rabbit
'08 Mazdaspeed3
'07 Honda Odyssey
'77 Yamaha RD400
'81 Yamaha xs650 Chop (for sale)
'09 Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, if you have the curly line from the oil filter mount;
the oil pump will be different.
You won't need the curly line so a different oil filter mount would be a good idea too.

Are you prestressing the diaphram before tightening everything down?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.