Another pump re-seal question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

zman
Turbo Charger

Another pump re-seal question

Post by zman »

Hi guys, I plan on pulling my pump and doing a total re-seal , about every rubber seal is leaking but it still runs like a top so I don't want to completely tear it down even though I have the kit.
My question concern`s the top cover and the rear output head. The assembly I seen was that the top cover cannot be put back on with the output head on, so is this right that the output head goes on last?
Thanks for your help and maybe you can tell me if there is any surprises waiting.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Re: Another pump re-seal question

Post by CarlosA »

Yeah the head goes on last, you have to be able to get in through the top cover to align stuff. Do you have the pics of the reassembly? It's a thread on here somewhere.

But no reason you would want to put the head on after the top, either.
zman
Turbo Charger

Post by zman »

Thanks..Yes..I have the link to a thread on the assembly and it says he had to take the output head back off to get the top cover on. I`m sure my terminology on the parts is wrong The head I`m calling is the part where the injector lines bolt to, and the top cover Is the throttle body area.
Anyways he had to pull the output head off to get the top cover on so I`m thinking the disassembly is the reverse , or have people managed to get the top cover on with the output head on?
My first pump re seal so I`m just getting up the courage to tear into it without mucking up the works.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Yeah he made a mistake and had to install the governor aka fulcrum lever assembly. Once that is in place the small slot on the cap/throttle slips in and holds itself there magically.

If you get toward the end of the pics you`ll see him install the cap after everything else is done. Essentially once the head is removed everything falls apart, so having the cap on would only make it more confusing, and you wouldnt be able to get the governor shaft to align with the sleeve that cuts off flow.

viewtopic.php?t=6694&start=0

Don`t give up though, its very easy to do - just look closely for worn parts. ;)
zman
Turbo Charger

Post by zman »

Thanks Carlos..Yes, I see the pic at the end. I think what I`ll do is just loosen the output head and use a pick to R&R the oring then do the top cover last.
I`m a competent mechanic but I dont want to mess anything up or delay the job because it is my daily driver and cant have it down for too long.
Allot of parts in those pumps, I`m surprised they last as long as they do without giving much trouble.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Yeah be careful, I had my fulcrum lever assembly in a little crooked and broke it when tightening stuff. Had to find another via buying a parts pump.