Quick question on 107A leaking pump seal

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

cheme
Glow Plug

Quick question on 107A leaking pump seal

Post by cheme »

Ok so a used 107A pump was installed. The motor started, ran, then quit. tried cranking to no avail. We have fuel coming from the front main seal. Can the front main seal be replaced or is the pump in need of total rebuild? I'm guessing it is sucking air in the seal or something? This pump came off a running motor but sat on a shelf for 5-6 years before it was used again if that makes a difference. Is it possible to have installed this pump wrong and caused a seal blowout?
coke

Re: Quick question on 107A leaking pump seal

Post by coke »

The front shaft seal can be replaced with it in the car, even. However, if the shaft bearing or bushing or w/e it is, is bad, then it wouldn't last long. If it was just the seal leaking from sitting 6 years, then you might get away with just replacing the seal. However, usually when one starts they all start.
EcoTX
Glow Plug

Post by EcoTX »

Yep that was my experience with my car after it sat in a barn for 5-6 years.

My throttle shaft seal started leaking, replaced it.
Then the seal between top half and bottom half weeped.
Then the distributor head O-ring started leaking so bad, I was only getting about 20 MPG highway. :shock:

I took it off the road at that point, bought the reseal walkthrough DVD on Ebay, bought a Bosch seal kit (DGK-126 for NA pump) and the 17mm front main seal, and resealed it myself.

The diesel shop wanted around 700 bucks to do it (absolutely insane), I got the DVD for 30, the seal kit for 14, and the front seal for 20 from the Bosch shop and it's been drip free for about 20k miles now. It really isn't that hard to do at all, especially the older ones.

Is this the seal that is leaking? This is the front shaft seal.

I wasn't aware you could replace that seal on the car, if you can I can only imagine it being a huge pain in the rear.

It has to be pried out with a seal puller, and then beat back in pretty snug with a big socket and big flat washer is what I used.

How on earth one could do that with the shaft in place is beyond me, but I guess...maybe...

I say reseal it yourself, save a bunch of money and headaches from every seal going out one after another, and learn something new all in one! :D
cheme
Glow Plug

Post by cheme »

Yup. That's where she's leaking. Thanks guys!
cheme
Glow Plug

Post by cheme »

Where would you recommend one get a seal for that online?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You can also get a seal from a local Bosch supplier, or a diesel repair shop, if you have either of those close by.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count