Cracked block options

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Cracked block options

Post by CarlosA »

Ok, so I know very well that you guys don`t like reusing cracked blocks.

I have been searching and will continue to search for a new block ... but there is NOTHING around here. In the fall i`m going on a picknpull(.com) road trip from Portland, OR to SoCal. They always have a 50% off sale on TG weekend.

My block has microscopic cracks between oil return & head bolt holes at the rear, and one even tinier crack front corner to a water jacket. The cracks are absolutely miniscule, they don`t reach all the way to the threads, I think studs run all the way in would distribute the torque just fine.

Here is what i`m willing to do, but I need to know if this thing is going to crumble in my hands or if its only ill-advised. I have all new bearings, replacement early crank, brand new pistons and rings already sitting in the block (previous owner).

I`m willing to put a set of 11mm studs in the block, new head gasket and slap it all back together to drive around town. Maybe do a good job of copper coating the deck around the cracks, could even put an extremely tiny amount of sealer around the broken studs at the deck level.

I don`t drive much (literally for beer runs & grocery duty, I work from home). Beat on it a bit more til I find a early-mid 80's TD setup to replace this mess. And in the process i`ll let everyone know how long it lasts. ;)

So wtf have you guys done?

clickable

Here are a few more pics that didnt turn out as well: http://onespeedfast.com/rabbit-forums/cracked/
Last edited by CarlosA on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
coke

Re: Cracked block options

Post by coke »

Get a 12mm block and prosper.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

coke wrote:Get a 12mm block and prosper.
Trying, most likely will find a complete TD - thats where I want to be even though its minimal HP increase. I think it`ll be more efficient, MPG, etc would be fun to play with.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

I guess the alternative might be a block like this, then reaming my 11mm head ...

http://r.ebay.com/jFyzih

This one is re-ringable with the same size pistons my cracked block has.

:roll:
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you are not willing to throw all your new parts in the trash, then I would not assemble that engine with a cracked block.

Two thoughts. Have you contacted a machine shop to see if they can pin the block and save it? Have you searched locally through salvage yards and craigslist for blocks, engines, or complete cars? I did some googling and find this listing

http://www.yellowpages.com/grants-pass-or/salvage-yards

I clicked on the website for the first one listed, searched for parts for an 82 Rabbit, engine, and find lots listed. Possibly a little expensive, but if you're going to pay $300 just for a block, maybe one that's twice that for one that runs is better? It comes complete, so there's no messing with your old 11mm head, assembly, etc. There's one that someone even added a turbo to it.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Yep i`ve been looking, called all the local yards so far.

The best i`ve found on craigslist is a 1.5l in "running" condition for $100.

I have craigslist searches set to notify me by email for 5-6 craigslist within a days drive.

Eventually something will show up on there and i`ll snag it - til then i`d like to keep this car driveable. Just a few months ago there were engines listed every week, even free.

I do have one more lead on a "early 80s rabbit" guy won`t part it out but will sell it complete. I can part it out easily. Not sure what the damage is yet.

But if we go back to the crack, how long is it going to hold & how bad is it?
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Don't do it.. It's to much trouble and a waste of time. It would suck to install a new head gasket and have it crack after two days of running. I bought a 11mm block from a guy that was trying to save the block. He had it welded by a shop. When he tightened he head bolts the weld cracked. he was sick of messing with it and sold it to me for 125.00. I bought it for the new rings, rod bearings, crank bearings and new oil pump he put in it.. It also had good rods, crank and pistons.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Diesel Dean wrote:Don't do it.. It's to much trouble and a waste of time. It would suck to install a new head gasket and have it crack after two days of running. I bought a 11mm block from a guy that was trying to save the block. He had it welded by a shop. When he tightened he head bolts the weld cracked. he was sick of messing with it and sold it to me for 125.00. I bought it for the new rings, rod bearings, crank bearings and new oil pump he put in it.. It also had good rods, crank and pistons.

Thanks thats the sort of thing I was wondering: If these cracks are likely to escalate and become a disaster.

So on a lighter note, I randomly found an early 80's "parts car" via a wanted ad. Going to check it out Saturday and see how it looks. Hopefully will have other stuff I can use and then i`l part the whole mess out.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

It may have a 1.5 block that has cracked head bolt holes in it as well. You never know. I'd suggest you concentrate on something with the 1.6 in it, since that has more readily available parts for it and the 12mm versions aren't prone to cracking.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, the block cracked because of stress in that area.
It's even weaker now, even with headstuds I wouldn't trust it not to chip out or strip threads.

The block you linked to is already bored out to 77.48 then 50,000 miles added to it.
If you are going to bore a block it should be bored 1 thou bigger than the pistons.
I wouldn't use a block that wasn't matched to the pistons.

Someone should make one more oversize, I really do like my 1.7 pistons.

Did you try posting an ad for one on craigslist?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Yeah best reply so far was a running 1.5 which could be just as bad as this one. There are a lot of these on the east coast. And i`m going to see a whole parts car Saturday.

I wouldnt really buy that $300 block, doesnt seem worth it when a whole engine is that much at picknpull - selling off the accessories would break even then get a free block.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

We think alike :D .
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Turns out the parts car is a golf, I haven`t seen it yet but hopefully the engine interchange is still straight forward. ;)
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Alright got it home, pulled the valve cover and found 11mm bolts again! wtf!

But got a 5 speed trans and a bunch of other crap I guess. :(
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Are you sure it's a 11mm motor?

I have too many to count