have mercy, I added way too much oil and maybe broke it.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

Re: have mercy, I added way too much oil and maybe broke it.

Post by Intharbuddy »

got a little bit a time and a oil pressure gauge. read 70 when cold and 30 when warmed up. good right?
The oil light still lights up though when I rev it for a while. I've looked a little at previous threads about this.
Before i get too involved I'm wondering what the easier repairs would be so I can check them off before the real nitty gritty. The oil sensor on the head was working just fine on the old golf so I don't think its that one but maybe the filter sensor? or possibly the oil pump? Is it bad idea to pull that off the old girl or should i buy new? any suggestions? Thanks, Niko.
messed up 81 rabbit pickup...but its purple.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

Yes the sensors are cheap, but so is an oil filter. If you are running a fram did you spin a new quality filter on? That would be first. Then the sensor out of the appropriate car would be best. Then report findings. 30 psi is way more than the 18 at 2,000 required.
coke

Post by coke »

I was told 5psi at idle will hold the top end together just fine.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

coke wrote:I was told 5psi at idle will hold the top end together just fine.
Hope so, but that still feels scary... if you've grown up working on vehicles that maintain 25-35psi @ hot idle. Even my air-cooled VWs do better than that 5psi @ idle.
J.R.
SoCal
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

Post by Intharbuddy »

pulled the oil switch on filter off the parts golf and switched them and seems to have solved the light issue. phew.
I had also put on a mann filter before doing this and the light still blinked on when reving it up.

I've got a few friends coming over to scoot the old girl out of the way so I can back out and drive it around a bit for the first time. I'll let you all know how she drives afterwards.

thanks for all the support.
Niko.
messed up 81 rabbit pickup...but its purple.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup