hard time starting my 1.6L diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

adrenaline-junkie
Glow Plug

hard time starting my 1.6L diesel

Post by adrenaline-junkie »

my VW golf doesnt like to start, i know its getting fuel cause it pukes out smoke as i crank it over
but it wont fire, sometimes it sputters a couple time but wont pull through. i sprayed a bit of ether (starting fluid) in the air cleaner then
it fired right up and runs great once started, and continues to start no problem once its warm

do i need new glow plugs?
or what might be the issue with this?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: hard time starting my 1.6L diesel

Post by 82vdub »

Check your glowplugs and make sure that they are actually working (not just have 12v going to them) and quit using either. Either could damage the rings, especially if your glow plugs are working correctly. Here's what they should look like (if you check them this way):

Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

your not supposed to use starting fluid on a gas engine, imagine a diesel. gas 7:1 or so ratio; diesel na 23:1
adrenaline-junkie
Glow Plug

Post by adrenaline-junkie »

alright thanks, i replaced my glow plugs. is there a special tool that makes it easier to put the glow plugs in?
coke

Post by coke »

A pencil magnet and small 12mm open end/boxed end wrench, and very tiny hands.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

adrenaline-junkie wrote:...is there a special tool that makes it easier to put the glow plugs in?
I also use a magnetic pickup tool as a way to guide the glowplugs and nuts around obstructions. Plus, flex-head gearwrenches (8mm, 12mm) are handy.

I also have dainty hands.

Edit: sometimes I can use the magnetic tool like a crank-rod to get the nuts started (like a steam engine).
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

to get to #1 you need to twist your hand, its kind of difficult and i have to relearn it every time, the cap (electrical) screws can be difficult too.
gear wrenches are the thing; just dont tighten (torque) w/them or break loose, use a box 12 wrench for that.
texcl
Turbo Charger

Post by texcl »

I use a pencil magnet as well, expect really scraped up hands. I replaced my plugs 1 1/2 years ago and still has 2 go bad recently so that is what I would expect is going on or some other glow plug fault.
1980 Dasher 1.5l
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

electric, check engine ground to body, or run another ground wire. i ran 2 1 from top of alt to trans ground (that grounds to bat.) and 1 from top of alt to body, the mount for fuel filter is good when clean. check ground strap at batt., you should have 1 or 2 (better) wires connected to body.
disconnect glow plug wire (in) and test for amps. this is a package so your getting amps for all 4 glow plugs at 1 time.