Diesel engine mount

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

crankpot
Cetane Booster

Diesel engine mount

Post by crankpot »

A funny thing happened. My caddy aged. As it did, it got louder and louder. When cold, the vibration caused racket inside the cab was incredible. Every tiny part beating against its neighbor. Change rattled, in the ashtray. it would subside slightly as the rubber mounts warmed up but wow.. Deafening drone espically at highway speeds.

So I read this article talking about the heavy duty diesel mount made for these cars. I buy one and grit my teeth dreading this big job. My caddy has a/c and than makes the project even harder.

I did it! It took 3 days, lots of black hands, cussing and cuts....I even fixed the belt tracking problem as I needed to remove all the ip bracketry.

But wow. This is a new toy now. I mean smooth. I mean quiet. I only changed the passenger side mount and now this thing idles smooth like a Honda civic. Absolutely no vibration noise from within the dash or anywhere else. Non. Zip. Nada.

Above 40 mph, I can't hear or feel the engine, only tire/wind noise. Wow.

This was worth the effort.

Warmest all....
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Diesel engine mount

Post by 82vdub »

I did the same thing with the same results. It is incredible how much new motor mounts fix a loud cabin.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Post by CarlosA »

Then I guess I need to do that too... Rebuilding my injectors removed half of the vibrations - but thats another story.
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

the other 2 mounts im sure need to be done at this point, and replacing they may improve vibration
you need stands to jack up car,jack,a couple of blocks of wood, the right tools, 1/2 drive extensions, a couple. a 1/2 drive wobble. 1/2 rachet. a couple of large wrenches, a large screwdriver. 1/2 deep sockets. the 1/2 wobble is for trans mount.(of course breaker bar).
taking oil pan off seems to me the best way to find a jack point for lower/front block jacking. you may in the process want to remove oil pump for saftey as you need to jack on front of motor to get to front mount.