VW 1.6L Marine Engine

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

DeadEye
Cetane Booster

Re: VW 1.6L Marine Engine

Post by DeadEye »

Yea freaky how that shield get there then. Well i put a screw driver to it and taped with a hammer to no avail. Its solid. Talked to prior owner today and he says he replaced the heat shields himself and number 1 was real hard to screw in. So perhaps the cross thread crooked injector did shave the hole side then weld itself when hot.

Xx
well to move forward in this project Ill get a new injector and shield and attempt to remove by dremel carbide bur porting tool. If that wont work Ill be needing a head. Will the new style hydraulic head work on a 81?

Heck im not certain its even an 81. Were do i find numbers to verify if it is indeed a 1.6L 12mm 1981.
hate wrong parts
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The head should have a letter after the part number. For an '81 I would expect an 11mm "B" head.

Some folks put 11mm heads on later blocks so the head number doesn't always indicate what block you have,.. but it's easier to see than the block code number under injector 3.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

you may be able to pull that heat shield out with a 5/16" sheet metal screw - can't remember the exact designation of the one I use but it threads into the heat shield center hole and grabs very well. The rotational torque helped break the shield loose from the side wall and then grabbing the head of the screw (mine was 1/2" hex head like a bolt) with vice grips and rocking a bit generally gets them out for me. Of course if the aluminum that got pushed down there is really hefty that might not work but it's worth a try.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Oh, I skimmed the bit that said it was #1 injector... I rekon someone didn't turn the IP enough to get the injector straight into the bore.

Not much to lose by yanking the heatshield out with a dent-puller and trying to get things right. Crossed threads are a bear, tho.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
DeadEye
Cetane Booster

Post by DeadEye »

Well im back at work now so it will be two weeks before I can get back to the project. Im a Merchant Marine doing 14 day rotation.
The letter on the head is M if I read it correctly from a pic in my phone . Im going to order nozzles and shields then sttempt repair of hole. What thread size is the injector hole? A bottoming tap to clean it up is in order
Thanks again
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Get more than just 4 heat shields as you may need to remove one later on, or something like that.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I keep extras, but re-form and install used shields without concern.

Reforming:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8764
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Why are you changing injector nozzles? Apart from the PO skewing the injector thread, and creating problems by running 50/50 SVO [perfectly possible as long as diesel purging at end of day, or build up like a deep fat fryer occurs over time]. Unless a fault present, many old injectors work better than new. New ones tend to take a while to settle. I do recomend an injector tester to remove any doubt.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
DeadEye
Cetane Booster

Post by DeadEye »

Quantum-man wrote:Why are you changing injector nozzles? Apart from the PO skewing these injector thread, and creating problems by running 50/50 SVO [perfectly possible as long as diesel purging at end of day, or build up like a deep fat fryer occurs over time]. Unless a fault present, many old injectors work better than new. New ones tend to take a while to settle. I do recomend an injector tester to remove any doubt.
In my attempt to fix the leaky injector I made it worse. Leak stopped but fuel knock when reinstalled so suspect crude in nozzle.
DeadEye
Cetane Booster

Post by DeadEye »

Well got the heat shield out and a new one in BUT no good as it didn't seal. Bubbles around threads so pulled it back out and can see there is still some of that aluminum still hitting bottom edge of injector. Will try to shave rest off tomorrow and see if I can get a seal. Got two used injectors from ebay and one was a dud o well.. Another attempt or two and I suspect I will strip those cross threads and it will be new head time. Ill update tomorrow after another try.

Got the injector in there all straight and sealed. Yee ha. The darn IP is back to it no or not enough return issue (not the bolt orifice this time) AND wont run without the lift pump witch should not be there to begin with. The P.0. says he has a spare IP that may be good so Ill try to get it and see if things shape up then.
DeadEye
Cetane Booster

Post by DeadEye »

Finally got the engine back in boat. Its was two days fitting the mounts in place. Will try to get her running tomorrow if time allows. Update later Thanks again all
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Sure would be nice to see some pics of the boat. And some better pics of the injector hole.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
DeadEye
Cetane Booster

Post by DeadEye »

CoolAirVw wrote:Sure would be nice to see some pics of the boat. And some better pics of the injector hole.
Ill get you some pics tomorrow as I will be finally starting sea trials !!! The injector hole problem was fixed a good wile back by making a miniature chisel out of a chain saw file with the tang sharpened and a chit load of gentle tip tap to remove the shaved then heat teated aluminum over the shield,so no pic of that as the injector is in and the engine running.
Did the first sea trial today only a 1/2 mile run though. My ear said max engine rpm was about 2k so the propeller is way to big for the horsepower, I have a few other props to try out we shall see how it goes. In your opinion what rpm should I turn at wide open? What rpm do you turn at maximum speed in your car? What it the sweet spot for power output?
What is your fuel consumption per hour at wide open highway? Im thinking about a gallon per hour and 10 mph is what Ill end up at if I find the correct wheel

I am still running the spare IP and not sure its perfect or not but have my hands on a Wendell Kelch pump that Jack got rebuilt for me Ill put it on if need be but for now It will be the spare. The shaft alignment will be fine tuned in the morning then a sea trial with the to big wheel and a hand held optical tach to get a base line on size change. Ill update tomorrow

Thanks again all
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

These things came with 52HP from the factory, so probably any prop over a quarter inch :mrgreen: will probably take all your available HP....

Depending on the trans, typical road RPM's is in the 2600 to maybe 3000 range at 65 MPH. Doing 65 MPH or so, ole 82 gets 40 MPG's, so that's 40 minutes for a gallon of diesel. I would think your boat would use more, as you'll likely be using a lot more HP moving the hull through water.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
DeadEye
Cetane Booster

Post by DeadEye »

Well sea trials went well today. I was pleased to get 13.8 mph at wide open with a rpm of 3600 using a 11" diameter propeller with a pitch of 7.6" There was few kinks to work out like the return hose from the injector end ( the one that gets plugged off ) split and diesel was squirting out, had to hold my finger on the hot rascal all the way back to dock. LOL it sucked.

Sorry no pics till tomorrow.

Cheers D.E.