Front wheel wobble

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Front wheel wobble

Post by Diesel Dean »

So I have a problem with my driver side front wheel bearing. My truck was pulling and driving weird so I lifted the front wheel and I could flop it up and down and side to side. My first thought was the wheel bearing until I found out the axle nut was loose. I tightened the nut with the truck up in the air and my son holding the break. I found that when i spin the wheel now it wobbles but everything is tight no more movement like a bad wheel bearing. But it wobbles when you spin the wheel. So I loosened the Axel nut just enough so I could set a pop can on the floor by the outside of the wheel and spin it by hand. I could get all of the wobble out using this method and tighten the Axel nut now it spins straight and true. What could be wrong bad spindle housing? The bearing sounds great going down the road.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Front wheel wobble

Post by TylerDurden »

I rekon it's the bearing. The nut & axle-end hold the inner races together.

Tightening the nut while keeping the hub centered allowed the races to go back together straight.

It may be fine, but I would inspect the bearing and the axle closely for damage. Sleep better by replacing the bearing.

How did the nut get loose?

(Edit: no pin on the front axles)
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

If it were me there is no way I would trust that now. Is the other side tight?

Get a new bearing kit and hub and have peace of mind, if it were me I would do the other side to.

The wobbling when static worries me. I saw this on my 79 rabbit that I am bringing to life. I also even made a stupid mistake and didn't pay attention to what was going on and barely half of a new bearing pressed into the hub. I was then able to spin half the race by hand. So it seemed like it fit on the bench but you could just tell something was wrong, the hub had wobbled out and the same thing happened on the other side. So now every car I bring back to life I replace all those parts to start.
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

If you drove with the axle nut loose the bearing will need replaced.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Fatmobile wrote:If you drove with the axle nut loose the bearing will need replaced.
X2... Check the hub carefully, and replace the nut too. Also agree on checking if the 'wobbling' has trashed the passenger side bearing also. Personally, I've always been surprised at how robust these VW hub/bearing/spindle setups appear vs. how fragile they really are. I guess the good news is that our bearing & hub replacements are readily available, and at fairly reasonable prices.
J.R.
SoCal
air-cooled or diesel
Turbo Charger

Post by air-cooled or diesel »

Fatmobile wrote:If you drove with the axle nut loose the bearing will need replaced.
X3, if its a vw then turning wheel w/o axle nut tight ruins the bearing(with car down/off jacks)
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

I have been very busy so i haven't had a chance to dig into the bearing issue. Looks like I will have a chance to work on it Sunday. I bought two new wheel bearings so i will report back what i find out.
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Well I finely had time to check into the wobble problem. I took it all apart and the splined hub that fit on the axel is all wore out. It fell right off the bearing. Going to put new bearings on drivers and passengers side. I have a good used hub to press on the new bearing. Should take care of any of my problems:)