Oil line cracked on turbo

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

surfcam
Turbo Charger

Oil line cracked on turbo

Post by surfcam »

I was 350km from home when my 99TDI's oil light came on along with the busser. I was very close to gas station at the time so I pulled in. I added 3 liters. Oil was gushing out from the back of the engine so went to the nearest garage which happened to be a Canadian Tire. They are knowen for just wanting to replace parts. So right on cue they informed me I needed steel OME oil line that would arrive in two days for $149. Not wanting to campout there I ask the mechanic if he could split a rubber hose and clamp it. I was amazed that he tryed that but it didn't work. He said, he wanted to cut the line to shorten it and flare both end. He clamped some fuel injection line that's good for 6.9bars over it. It worked like a charm I was very pleased. My hat real goes off to this Marine. Sure glad Canadian girls lured him up here.
My question is how long is this good for and what is the best fix for this. I have also read that this is happening because of missing clamps or loose clamps.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Oil line cracked on turbo

Post by Fatmobile »

If this has te VNT15 turbo:
I used 5/16" (8mm) brake line and steel ferrels.
It's in my VNT build post in the performance fora.

Since you still have both the end fittings, you just need the tube and ferrels.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: Oil line cracked on turbo

Post by surfcam »

The AHU and similar Z1 which I have is the first generation TDI. I believe it has the KKK K03-006 turbo. Not VNT 15. Maybe its the same as the line on the 1.6 turbo's. The Z1 is like a AZZ with TDI head and pump on it. I was thinking of maybe a braided line so it doesn't crack again.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/