Melted Wires... Whee!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

avocado
Turbo Charger

Melted Wires... Whee!

Post by avocado »

Well that was fun. It's just under freezing temps here in Pittsburgh, my block heater has apparently died, and I noticed that the stock 50A fuse was blown for my glowplugs.

I thought I could get away with just bypassing the fuse for a quick start (I'm doing some other testing and figured that would be fine until I got a new fuse later this week) only to...wait for it...melt the wires headed to the glowplugs.

Doh! That was dumb...

Part of the problem is I think I had used only 10 gauge wires...that will be changing, but I'm also finally going to try to pimp my glowplugs using a distribution system.

Regardless...happy holidays to everyone! I hope this finds you warm and having fun!
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Melted Wires... Whee!

Post by 82vdub »

#10AWG wire is good for 30A. If you replaced the factory wire with the #10 and they are all wired in series, then this was the wrong size wire (as you figured out). Running #10's from a distribution block to each glow plug would be fine, but you'd need to run larger wire to the distribution block to power all the glow plugs.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

82vdub wrote:#10AWG wire is good for 30A. If you replaced the factory wire with the #10 and they are all wired in series, then this was the wrong size wire (as you figured out).
Thanks 82vdub. I got in there a little deeper and it looks like it was a #8AWG wire from the battery to the glow plugs. So the question is: why did the wire melt? Is it that the fuse provides just enough resistance to keep the amperage down? Or did I inadvertently upgrade my glowplugs when I ordered them from Jack?

Regardless, I'm going to wire two #8AWG wires in parallel to a ford solenoid, wire that to two distribution blocks, each through a 30A fuse (which will hopefully be enough), and then run #10AWG wires to the individual plugs. If that doesn't work, I'll look at upgrading to a 50A fuse per two plugs (but 30A is what I got now and nothing's open).

Thoughts?
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Mystery solved: one of the glow plugs had shorted out. I fired up the glow plugs why watching the engine and one of them started to smoke.

Disconnected it and all is well....

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Yea, the only time the fuse should blow is when there's some short somewhere, or under a weird circumstance.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

:idea: I believe there is a memo from VAG somewhere cautioning about overtightening of Glowplugs, as the tapered seal at the ends of the threads can crimp down onto thge heater element [cover] and create a short or otherwise, and reduce plug life. There should be a little gap where the element inserts into the threaded part that closes up if over-graunched :idea:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

yup. that lack of ring or gap is indicative of over-torque.

personally, i run a OO ga. cable from the battery to a Ford starter solenoid, then to a 4 fuse block with 4 separate 10ga wires. manual switch so i get as much glow as i can stand!

i've also stopped my GP burnout by switching from Duraterms to DieselRX plugs. i get along of nailing at times with Veg Oil and it seemed to take the Duraterms out within as short as 4 months. had the DieselRX plugs in for almost 2 years.
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Thanks for the tips, volks!