86 Golf Charging Issue

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

uzzo2
Diesel Freak

86 Golf Charging Issue

Post by uzzo2 »

Hey guys, happy New year! I had an issue going to work with the golf this morning. The charging light came on numerous times and the headlights dimmed. It would go back out after a couple of seconds, but I'm concerned about it. Right off hand I would say it's the alternator. But I also know that there's something that controls the charging when it's started. It has to reach a certain RPM before the light goes out and the alternator starts charging. What controls that and could that be causing the issue?
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

Re: 86 Golf Charging Issue

Post by Intharbuddy »

was it raining by chance? water can splash up on the belts and cause them to lose traction causing the alt to slow down and the light to come on. happens to me all the time.
messed up 81 rabbit pickup...but its purple.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Intharbuddy wrote:was it raining by chance? water can splash up on the belts and cause them to lose traction causing the alt to slow down and the light to come on. happens to me all the time.
Nope, not raining, it's either the alternator on its way out or whatever controls the alternator until it reaches a certain RPM.
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

If the belts are tight, I'd check the condition of the regulator & brushes.

Also might check the output voltage and ensure all the alt & batt connections are clean and tight.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

TylerDurden wrote:If the belts are tight,
Is there such a thing on these cars? I just put new ones on it, so they're good as far as I know.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
bbob203
Turbo Charger

Post by bbob203 »

the only thing about these vehicles that really pisses me off is the charging system.
91 jetta gl na german built
91 jetta gl ecodiesel
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

uzzo2 wrote:
Is there such a thing on these cars? I just put new ones on it, so they're good as far as I know.
Lol, the belts might need a re-tension after seating-in.

IIRC, There are adjustable voltage regulators available that fit Bosch alternators, if the stock regulator has low output.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

TylerDurden wrote:
uzzo2 wrote:
Lol, the belts might need a re-tension after seating-in.

IIRC, There are adjustable voltage regulators available that fit Bosch alternators, if the stock regulator has low output.
I read all the way through a thread I think it was you that started about the belts. You made a nice little tensioner and by the time I got to the end I was thinking. Man this is what I want to do with mine cause I'm sick of changing the damn belts every 3 or 4 months. But alas, I think it wound up breaking the belts after a couple hundred miles or so. It's definitely not charging now. When I left work today on the way home it was doing the same thing. The light would come on and flicker for a couple of seconds and then go off. But by the time I got home, it was on steady. I checked it with a meter and sure enough, it wasn't charging. I know the guy I bought it from said he put new brushes in it before I bought it. I've never done it, is it hard to do and where is the best place to get the parts to do it?

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
Intharbuddy
Cetane Booster

Post by Intharbuddy »

i was dealing with a similar thing a few years back with my first golf. I knew it wasn't the alternator and i would be going through belts every few months. the light would sometimes be full brightness but usually just be dimly lit. I eventually discovered a crack in the alternator bracket. It caused a lot of vibration and due to that the mounting holes and tensioning components had a lot of play. I would tighten the belt and that would work until it vibrated loose again. Found a new bracket and had to shim the pulley too to get it to line up right.
I would tighten the belt and check voltage for starts and while yr tooln around in there look for wear.
messed up 81 rabbit pickup...but its purple.
85 golf
80 gasser pickup
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Intharbuddy wrote:i was dealing with a similar thing a few years back with my first golf. I knew it wasn't the alternator and i would be going through belts every few months. the light would sometimes be full brightness but usually just be dimly lit. I eventually discovered a crack in the alternator bracket. It caused a lot of vibration and due to that the mounting holes and tensioning components had a lot of play. I would tighten the belt and that would work until it vibrated loose again. Found a new bracket and had to shim the pulley too to get it to line up right.
I would tighten the belt and check voltage for starts and while yr tooln around in there look for wear.
There was definitely some slop in the bottom bracket. But I've got it off and took the regulator/brushes out. One of the 2 brushes had completely fallen out and the spring was just laying in there. So maybe it'll be an easy fix.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

The experimental tensioner was great in the summer, sucked balls in the winter.

Regulators are cheap and available. pick you favorite place.

Here is a decent, simple overview on alternator issues: http://www.import-car.com/issue/article ... ntid=38995
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I just had the same problem with my Rabbit, with the MK2 alternator setup.

I removed the brushes/regulator and cleaned the contacts.
Especially where it grounded to the housing.

Solved the problem.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

You can buy new brushes many places...hint.
You can fairly easily replace the brushes with a soldering iron and some flux/solder. Just make sure you catch the old springs as they are released. Seems as though the springs do not commonly come with the brushes these days.

You probably also need to very lightly dress-up the faces of the slip rings by using your finger and some very fine sand paper. It's a learning experience....get creative....apply common sense.
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

If you are going to use sandpaper as the Darlek says then remember to use an air filled douche bottle and brush to remove the grit. Actual process of maintenance depends on what model of alternator you have, naturally... :wink:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Post by uzzo2 »

Quantum-man wrote:If you are going to use sandpaper as the Darlek says then remember to use an air filled douche bottle and brush to remove the grit. Actual process of maintenance depends on what model of alternator you have, naturally... :wink:
It's a Bosch 0 120 469 674 711, is what it looks like. I have a regulator on the way, supposed to be here tomorrow. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with it.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788