The valve shim exchange thread!

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

tylernt
Turbo Charger

The valve shim exchange thread!

Post by tylernt »

Ok, so you've just adjusted your valves and now you have duplicates of some of your shim sizes. Well why not post them here to trade with others who might need those sizes and can maybe fill the holes in your shim collection at the same time?

Extras I have (all used of course):

I could use:

For reference, here's a list of adjusting disk sizes and part numbers:

However shims as thin as 2.85mm are also available, I guess for a really worn valve on a seat that's be recut.
Last edited by tylernt on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Great idea, I'll check my extras.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Did the solid lifter gas engines use the same shims?
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Shim part numbers match up perfectly in my Mk2 Jetta Bentley and my German ('75-'79) gas Rabbit Bentley, so I'd say yes. That should really open up shim availability then, good idea!
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I can just go through the j-yard ($2 admission) popping valve covers next time and hopefully snag a few for free. Way better than $1+ from (removed by moderator) and who knows how much from a dealer. They only charge/check for larger parts, so I'm sure I can stick a few in my wallet or something. :)
Krank
Diesel Freak

Post by Krank »

I had really good luck getting a large kit from ebay. It cost me about $5 plus shipping. I recommend you give it a shot... maybe put it in your favorite searches or something.
'81 Rabbit N/A
'82 Audi 4000 Diesel (a vw in luxery clothing!)
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I have 3 370, 2 375, and 5 380 to trade. I need 400, 395, 360, and 355. I've pulled three cams out at pick an pull and still don't have a very complete collection. It's funning how fast a person gets lazy now I just grab shims out of engines with the cam missing. I've only had the a mechanical diesel for a year so I should be patients.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

OK, here's my extras:
disc - extras
3.15 - 3
3.50 - 1
3.65 - 2
3.70 - 10
3.75 - 7
3.90 - 2

I'm looking for a few more:
disc - need

3.10 - 2
3.25 - 2
3.30 - 2
3.35 - 1
3.40 - 1
3.55 - 2
3.85 - 3
4.00 - 2
4.20 - 2

It looks like everyone has extra 3.70s
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Gearhead
Cetane Booster

Post by Gearhead »

Hey guys, I just picked up a whole kit on Ebay... with tools. I got it because I want to take the cover off once, and be done with the job, but I was also thinking about "renting" the kit for slightly more than the price of the shims plus shipping. I'm probably going to require a core charge, so I'm sure to get my shim kit back. I'm not wanting to make any money. I just want to make sure I get it back for the next guy, or for one of the many VW diesels we have in our family. Does anybody think it's a good idea? Honestly, I'm collecting quite a few tools that I may do that with for people on the forums. As long as I get the stuff back in good working order I don't see a problem.The kit hasn't made it to my door, yet, but here's a link. I think a few sizes are missing as of yet. Shim Kit
'82 Rabbit 1.6D... for now.
CarlosA
Turbo Charger

Re: The valve shim exchange thread!

Post by CarlosA »

Bringing this one back from the dead 5 years later...

I have all sizes if anyone wants to do an exchange. I think i`m down to 4 shims on 2-3 sizes so i`ll look and update.

I may also have a set coming back that goes alll the way down to 2.60mm for those of you who were looking to have some machined years ago.

Over 200 of my shims are new. I don`t mind swapping new for used, etc. I can also send out a range of sizes for those doing an adjustment.
derweibhai
Glow Plug

Post by derweibhai »

Just found out that the "cherry" 1980 diesel Rabbit I purchased a few years ago requires thin shims. I am assuming by all I have read on here that, that means that it has been rebuilt in the past, and that it was not done well. I can get by with a 2.90 shim on the first exhaust valve, and the first intake came back with no clearance, so hopefully I can get by with a 2.80 on the intake, but I got so ticked off I only did the first 2 valves. I am pretty new to all this stuff, but very mechanically inclined. Problem is out here in the sticks there are no machine shops. Anyone have any thin shims? How much longer do you think this head will hold out in this condition (with the proper shims installed)? How thin can you go w/o removing the buckets and shaving them down?
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Well that's an unfortunate situation to be sure. 2.85 is still the thinnest I'm aware of commercially. You'll need to find a shop with a surface grinder, as hardened shims would be quite difficult to cut.

As for running it as is, letting the intake valves stay open will make you lose a lot of compression, and letting the exhaust stay open would be disastrous (they'd burn)...
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think the Limey has mentioned grinding the end of the valve or cam follower down to get some clearance. Not real sure. Maybe be he will wake up soon and chime in. I think he 6's hours a head of us.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/