Hack needed: lost fuel shut-off solenoid spring

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Michael
Cetane Booster

Hack needed: lost fuel shut-off solenoid spring

Post by Michael »

I tried to be careful this time. Last time I lost both the plunger and the spring; this time, just the spring.
Anyone made a suitable substitute for the stock solenoid spring.
( how about the plunger, too?!)
- Michael (Seattle)
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Hack needed: lost fuel shut-off solenoid spring

Post by TylerDurden »

In a pinch, I might give a ball-point pen spring a shot.

HF has an assortment... http://www.harborfreight.com/200-piece- ... 67562.html

I've had an older, similar assortment come in handy on occasion.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

Thanx for the reply. I'll try something of the sort, though I think a retractable ink pen spring might be a bit 'brutaforssini' - too strong/stiff. I could torch the spring to 'take the starch out of it', so to speak, I suppose.
I'll take a mental note of the spring set/collection for the future and take a look at it on-line.

- Michael, Seattle
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I heard someone over on the vortex used a pen spring.
I suppose there are different sizes.

If you figure this out let me know.
The plungers are hard to pull out of the pump,
then they suddenly let go.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

Success: the pen spring worked. I tested various pens to find the weakest spring, cut each end off, stuffed one end down into the piston and tested it. It works very well. I tested it by facing the piston into a small box, since I've finally learned my lesson about losing solenoid springs and pistons to spring recoil.
Then, since I was also chasing-down a short circuit, I performed Vince Waldon's "pimp your glow-plugs" by mounting a starter solenoid to my driver's-side shock tower and wiring the glow-plug circuit into this. Worked amazingly well; no more high amperage going through that ignition controlled circuit. I got the smallest, cheapest solenoid that I could find - a four-pole one, with a cable going to the starter (+) battery post (as Vince recommended) to one of the large gauge poles on the solenoid, per mfgr's instruxions, the glow-plug supply cable to the other large gauge pole on the solenoid, the original ignition wire to the glow-plugs connected to one of the small poles on the solenoid (per mfgr's instrxns), and no wire to the other small pole - which would otherwise go to a starter coil on such circuits as required them (I found this pole to be 12VDC during the duration of the solenoid activation period, and have therefor insulated it as a safety precaution until needed for something else - mentioned below). I've left out the small fuse block addition - as Waldon recommends - until a later time, when I can find a better one then the cheap, plastic one offered at my local auto-parts store. I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding one, after I've finished my current residential transplant operation (Seattle to Eugene, Ore.)
I also replaced the fusible-link that had burned-out (from the short circuit at the fuel solenoid wire), with a small length of bulk fuse link from the auto parts store, which I crimped and soldered into place.
As an aside, I was disappointed that the Bentley guide said so little about fuse links and nothing about replacing them; just basic stuff that I should already know about?!
Now, I just need to do something about that broken barb on #4 injector. Put a small self-tapping machine screw into it, or replace the injector top. I suppose I could also take the injector apart again and solder it shut.
- Michael
Last edited by Michael on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Buy a replacement injector is one idea. Used they should be pretty cheap
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Michael wrote: Now, I just need to do something about that broken barb on #4 injector. Put a small self-tapping machine screw into it, or replace the injector top. I suppose I could also take the injector apart again and solder it shut.
I have had very little success getting threaded "plugs" to seal.

Something as small as the barb opening might be easily plugged by tapping-in a tapered piece of solid copper wire or solder. There is very little pressure there.
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When I use a starter solenoid to trigger the glow plugs
the fat positive wire first goes is to the stock glow plug fuse.
So if anything touches that post on the solenoid it will be fused,
I try to find rubber caps for the starter solenoid's large posts but have only salvaged a few.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

The cheap azone fuse blocks seem ok, IMO. Each line is only carrying 8A-12A, so no worries on current-handling.

(There are nicer ones easily found online, tho.)
Have a nice day.

'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

I'll get to the fuse-block,eventually, but for now the system works well as it is.
I've been thinking about adding injector-line heaters, since I often use recycled, purified vegetable oil mixed with gasoline - which tends to thicken as it cools. The addition of the solenoid provides a good power supply, since the unused post on the solenoid, the one intended to be attached to a starter-coil on stock systems that require this, provides 12V+ during its activation period - while the glow-plugs are heating. I thought I'd run this idea past Waldon and someone that has designed an injection-line heater system.
I may not be using home-mixed fuel for much longer, as I've moved and my supply to veggie is dc'd, so I may not get to that, but I may re-post this idea on the appropriate thread.
About the injector: I'm near the "All German" bone yard, in Seattle, right now, so I'll go get a used injector - or several - as well as a hub-cap for my '85 Golf.
Thank you all for the ideas and help.
Another thing that does come to mind, is that I'm in need of a small truck - after moving my home from Seattle urban to Eugene, Oregon rural. I have a spare 1.6L engine with all of the trimmings and am wondering if I might be able to drop that into something useful. VW caddys are too: expensive, uncomfortable, unavailable. I've also thought that, maybe, I could build a useful small trailer to tow behind the Golf. I might have time for these things, or not, but dreams and plans are persistent.
- Michael, Seattle - Eugene
Last edited by Michael on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think a trailer is a good compromise. You can get a old sevendies tent trailer for free or cheap. I paid, "fifty dollars for mine". Just throw the tent away and use the treated 1/2" plywood for other things. In Alberta it use to be $25 for a life time plate. I've have two of those, now my last one was $100 :cry: The advantage of this is that I have a cargo trailer when it rains or ravens are around, open trailer for dirt, gravel and building materials, and windsurfing trailer loaded ready to rock when ever the snow goes. The down side is sometimes you will be wishing you had dragged the trailer along or had a truck when you come across a deal on a engine block or something big and your far from home. Other strategies, take the back seat out of a Golf and have a mini wagon. Buy a Passat B3 estate wagon and put a 1.6TD in it. It will be like caring a extra 700lb lady with you all the time but you will have lots of room. They are more aerodynamic so I'm hoping one day to find out if the snow in Edmonton ever decides to recede.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Michael
Cetane Booster

Post by Michael »

You cracked me up with that one, Surfcam. I didn't get the allusion to the ravens though; care to run that one past me once again?!
I got a used injector from the bone yard just in case the soldering didn't work. I removed the top from the injector with the busted barb, cleaned it inside and out and soldered it shut with a torch. I'll take the extra injector along in case the solder doesn't hold - but then I guess that means taking that 28mm deep socket and 1/2" ratchet handle along too, don't it. Oh well!
"Just when you think you have it figured out, something always comes along to queer the deal!" - Homer Simpson

Michael, Seattle to Eugene.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

That might be a bad reference for you sorry about that. Alberta Millwright's sometimes refer to thieve's that go into are tool boxes when we aren't there as ravens.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Michael
Cetane Booster

Re: Hack needed: Golf Trailer Hitch?

Post by Michael »

I've moved to Oregon - sold the house in Seattle to co-purchase with Rachel (spouse) her father's house & land. I need a trailer now, to transport used rail-road ties up to the property; they come in 8' and 11'. I need a trailer, now. My brother in law has one that I may borrow, but I still must solve the riddle of finding & attaching a trailer hitch to my '85 Golf. What might you suggest? I'll give this its own posting title, but wanted you to read it PDQ.
Thanx for being there! - Michael, Eugene, Or. USA