TDI WATER LEAK PROBLEM

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

law
Glow Plug

TDI WATER LEAK PROBLEM

Post by law »

Hi i have a vw golf tdi pd 100 2002 plate its done 142k now, about a month ago it started to drink lots of water then it just stopped using and was fine, last weekend went on a 200 miles motorway journey and was fine,the day after another motorway journey and every 10 to 20 miles warning came up check coolant and nearly empty everytime, that was a week ago since then i travel 75 miles to work everyday and has dropped about half a inch of water if that, cannot see any leaks anywhere, am thinking waterpump then someone said headgasket so i,m unsure where to begin i had a commpression test done and nothing showed. any help would be very helpfull.
law
Glow Plug

Re: TDI WATER LEAK PROBLEM

Post by law »

just been to another garage going to qoute me for headgasket but unsure if thats the problem, ,my machanic says try water pump but that means cambelt and even tho i dont mind that still dont know if thats the issue.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: TDI WATER LEAK PROBLEM

Post by Fatmobile »

Isn't much vacuum to pull coolant into the cylinders.
Cylinder to headgasket leaks in the Rabbits show up as air in the small line going to the resevoir as the high compression sends air into the coolant.

Leaking resevoir cap? If TDIs have resevoirs like Rabbits.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.