Chirping from dash?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

StevenPH
Diesel Freak

Chirping from dash?

Post by StevenPH »

Ever since i bought my jetta, i've had intermittent squeaking come from the left side of my dash. Never too often, and never too loud, but just enough that i would love to do something about it.

My cold start lever does chirp and squeak a little if not pushed in entirely, usually pushing it the rest of the way in will solve it, sometimes i need to jiggle it a little.

I also get another chirp/squeak from deeper in the dash, seemingly above the fuse box. Often the hard smack of the dash will stop it, for a few minutes at least.

Often there are also a few squeaks and chirps when i hit a bump in the road, or accelerate hard.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?
'89 Jetta 1.6d
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Re: Chirping from dash?

Post by TylerDurden »

I'd try to isolate the noise using a soft tube as a stethoscope. Maybe take the speaker grille off and the speaker out to get better access, also I'd remove the panel below the dash. Some dry lube in a spray can might work when the source is identified.

I have all kinds of squeaks & rattles in my 85/86 Jetta - I try to knock em off one-by-one. Heard a new buzz two days ago... that was the knob on the window crank. XD
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I turn up the stereo. :D

Some noises you can find but the ones in the dash can be tough since it's hard to find them while driving. Good luck. You might just check all the bolts holding the dash to the body if you can get to them.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
StevenPH
Diesel Freak

Post by StevenPH »

Yea the dash bolts could be a culprit - I just had the dash partway off to put a new blower motor in.

Everytime I take out the dash I'm left with two to five screws that I have no clue where they could go. By now there's probably 1/5th of the standard assembly holding it together...

Another thing came up today too that probably isn't related - the turn signal has started sticking. The lever will raise or depress at usual, and the dash light comes on, but occasionally stays on with a buzzing sound. A jiggle or resetting of the lever will usually solve it and it'll go back to normal.

This sound like a relay or a switch issue?

Thanks
'89 Jetta 1.6d
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Could be the relay going bad or maybe dirty contacts where it plugs into the fusebox. I would pull the flasher unit out and inspect all the contacts for crud/corrosion. If nothing found I would replace the flasher next since they aren't terribly expensive. The switch isn't too hard to replace if you can find a good one. Not sure if they are available new aftermarket or not.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

I have had one speedo cable make noises
1985 jetta turbo diesel, 5 speed manual
bbrasee
Glow Plug

Post by bbrasee »

On mine, the plexiglass cover in front of the instrument cluster chirps loudly and would stop if pushed upon. I wedged a guitar pick in the side of it and it stopped.