starting 1.6D engine out of car

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

123gt
Glow Plug

starting 1.6D engine out of car

Post by 123gt »

Diesel newbie needs help. Not my first VW just first Diesel.

I bought a 1.6 N/A to put in a MK2 golf and I'm trying to test run the engine before installing in the car.

Replaced the week starter and now the engine will turn over and white smoke comes out of exhaust but will not run. Yes I connected power to fuel solenoid.

Also is this a turbo injection pump? Never seen a 1.6 N/A injection pump that looks like this. If it is a turbo injection pump is there any advantages/disadvantages to having a turbo pump instead of a N/A pump?

If it helps engine is out of 1991 jetta.

Thanks.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: starting 1.6D engine out of car

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum. The white smoke is a sign of poor combustion. Since this engine is new to you and it may have been sitting for a while, there are a couple things to think about.

Poor combustion in a diesel could be from low compression (worn rings, stuck rings, worn out engine, valves out of adjustment, etc), air in the fuel line or bad timing. Without a way to check for all these with the engine on the ground, this may be a little more difficult to determine. Also, are you energizing the glow plugs before trying to start it?

When trying to start it from scratch, you should open the throttle all the way to move as much fuel as you can. Sometimes this is the issue. These engines are sometimes really difficult to fire when the fuel has been removed. You should remove the fuel solenoid and fill the injector pump with diesel fuel or atf if there's nothing in it. However, your white smoke implies that fuel is getting to the engine. You should also elevate the fuel can above the injector pump to make sure the engine has a solid supply of fuel.

Assuming timing is right on, there have been people that have tried and tried to get an engine running (while it's in the car), and were not successful. They were sometimes successful by having someone pull the vehicle around while it's in gear, and finally get it to start that way. Sometimes, there just isn't enough cranking speed to get it to fire.

Also, if there's some way that you can get the block full of water and plug in the block heater, if you let it warm the block for a couple hours first, a diesel will be much easier to start when it's warm (the glow plugs may not really be working on this engine either).
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

White smoke only appears if you have fuel...So forget messing about with any not-getting-fuel issues.

White smoke is unburnt fuel. This is from incorrect timing, or severe compression issues...

Does hand cranking with a 3/4"wrench on the crank bolt give you the classic 4 hard to pass spots? If so then compression is fine, or at least sufficient.
It is thus your timing. Go through your timing procedure.
If that checks out, then unscrew #1 fuel line @ the injector, slide nut back up the line and with fuel solenoid energized, hand crank and observe timing of pulse of fuel.

[No danger because pulse comes out at atmospheric pressure :mrgreen: ]

Important to be able to see #1 cam lobes also [they should be standing up].

Come back with the results...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

and test GP-glow plugs.
Ton of info on this forum,but you NEED to read,read.....
I`ll improve my English
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

mtran wrote:and test GP-glow plugs.
Drat how did I forget those :lol:

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

Quantum-man wrote:
another puzzle?
I`ll improve my English
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

mtran wrote:
Quantum-man wrote:
another puzzle?

Or an assumption that they're checked when a battery is being applied to see if it will start, like oil, and maybe a bit of water

... girls like em ;o)

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

White smoke is often caused by air in the fuel.
Do you have clear fuel lines to and from the pump?
How are you feeding fuel to this engine while it's being tested?

You can't change the intermediate shaft bearings very easily with the engine in the car,
best to check them before install.

Altitude compensation on top of the pump, not a turbo LDA.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

A handful of dead plugs will keep it from starting and make white smoke while cranking, as others mentioned, but having good plugs that are not turned on before and during cranking will have that effect as well. I second 82vdub's question, did you connect power to the glow plugs? I saw where you said you powered up the fuel cutoff solenoid but you didn't mention the GP's. :wink:

Takes a pretty good slug of current -- the circuit is fused for 60A in the car, should be 48A if all 4 plugs are working for a '91 -- so use a good-size cable and be sure not to let it touch anything else. :shock: In warm weather a 10 count should be enough.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k
123gt
Glow Plug

Post by 123gt »

Wow thanks for all the input, been busy with life's other problems so have not had time to test everything mentioned. I put a funnel in the fuel line going to injection pump and powered up the fuel cutoff solenoid then started pouring diesel in until no more would go in. I filled a liter bottle with diesel and stuck hoses into bottle for testing. Do not have clear fuel lines, they are black. Have not tried testing glow plugs. I connected wire to glow plugs to battery and and waited 10-15 sec a few times and the wire started to get warm after a few times of doing this before cranking engine. I will have to check turning engine over with a wrench to test the classic 4 hard to pass spots. I checked that the engine could be turned by hand when I bought it but it was not easy 2 do.