Problems Starting after Head Gasket

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

avocado
Turbo Charger

Problems Starting after Head Gasket

Post by avocado »

I know that starting problems fill the archives, but having done a bit of searching and research I'm just looking for a reality check before I move forward.

Engine: 1.6 TD with new head gasket
Symptom: turns over quickly but doesn't even try to catch. Engine ran before disassembly, although compression was marginal (~300 on all cylinders).

What I've done so far:
1. Turned over engine by hand to ensure no interference.
2. Loosened the injector lines and confirmed fuel at each injector after turning it over.
3. Charged battery, engine now turns quickly.
4. Confirmed power at glow-plug distribution block.
5. Had injection pump locked in place during reassembly, and therefore did not check timing.

Next steps (or, "Tell me what I'm missing!"):
1. Try with the cold start lever pushed in.
2. Verify amperage drop at each glow plug.
3. Loosen injection pump and hillbilly tune until it starts.
4. Consider spraying a bit of WD-40 in the intake.

Thoughts?

The only other thing I can think of is that when I first reassembled, it took a while for the oil pressure to crank up from zero (I'm running a pressure gauge). So maybe I'm just getting poor compression because the oil hasn't been pumped sufficiently up into the rings and I just need to crank it for longer to ensure the pressure gets up high enough. (Max it got to was 10-15 psi, which had me concerned, but is more likely due to it being a quart low than anything)
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Problems Starting after Head Gasket

Post by 82vdub »

Did you refill the injector pump after disconnecting any of the fuel inlet lines? You may want to rig up a bottle to make sure the IP is fed with a good fuel supply to possibly remove any air in the line issues.

Are you flooring it when you crank the engine, and are you sure that the glow plugs are actually working, not that they have power? If this has a block heater, plug it in. A warm engine will remove any glow plug issue and lessen fuel issues as the engine is more willing to start. When you floor it and crank the engine, what color smoke comes out the exhaust if any?

If there's smoke coming out the exhaust and it's plugged in an still not starting (after being plugged in for a while), I'd then try advancing the IP to try to get it to start easier. I've found that when I set mine by dial gauge, it's very retarded (no pun intended) and needs to be advanced. It doesn't take too much retard and these won't start.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

82vdub wrote:Did you refill the injector pump after disconnecting any of the fuel inlet lines? You may want to rig up a bottle to make sure the IP is fed with a good fuel supply to possibly remove any air in the line issues.
I didn't. I'll look into that. FWIW, I'm not seeing any bubbles in the clear lines, and they are filled with fuel.
82vdub wrote:Are you flooring it when you crank the engine, and are you sure that the glow plugs are actually working, not that they have power? If this has a block heater, plug it in. A warm engine will remove any glow plug issue and lessen fuel issues as the engine is more willing to start. When you floor it and crank the engine, what color smoke comes out the exhaust if any?
You know, if this had been a gas engine I would have totally floored it, but for some reason I don't know that I even pumped the pedal on the diesel. No clue why. I'll try that tonight and report back. As for the block heater, short version is that I don't know if I can get mine working (no electricity in this garage and other issues), but I'll put that on the list for next if I can get it sorted out.

And as for smoke: there hasn't been any yet, as it hasn't even tried to light off.

Thanks!
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

triple check the timing. If the IP is full of fuel per '82's suggestion and glow plugs work, it could be that the timing moved even though things were locked. With the cold weather we are having in the evenings and mornings it's going to be a little cranky (no pun intended) starting up from scratch.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

bscutt wrote:triple check the timing. If the IP is full of fuel per '82's suggestion and glow plugs work, it could be that the timing moved even though things were locked. With the cold weather we are having in the evenings and mornings it's going to be a little cranky (no pun intended) starting up from scratch.
Will do.

I'm pretty sure the glow plugs are working as I'm seeing a good voltage drop at the distributor block when I turn them on (and they're new and were working recently). The fact that they're probably working, combined with our cold weather we're having, may be the incentive I need to figure out the block heater.

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

No smoke out the tailpipe when cranking means no fuel into the cylinders. Floor it when you crank it. Pumping it won't do a thing, as there's no accelerator pump like that's in a carb.

I have too many to count
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Ok!

Floored it and was persistent in trying to start it and after 15 minutes I almost got it to catch. White smoke out the tailpipe and all.

Next step: charge up the battery and try to get the block heater working.

Thanks Volks!

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If it's white smoke, it's a sign of poor combustion. Rotate that IP as far towards the head and try again. I think the timing is too far retarded.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

X2 on the timing advance. I have run into that before and have ended up advancing it as far as it would go before getting a decent startup. Once it starts you can turn it back. On my 93 Passat with the ECO engine I had to actually move the belt a tooth to get it advanced enough to start when I swapped in an old pump while resealing the original. It rattled pretty bad but started up quickly.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

avocado wrote:FWIW, I'm not seeing any bubbles in the clear lines, and they are filled with fuel.
Which fuel lines are clear on your machine?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Fatmobile wrote:
avocado wrote:FWIW, I'm not seeing any bubbles in the clear lines, and they are filled with fuel.
Which fuel lines are clear on your machine?
From the tank to the fuel filter, fuel filter to IP, IP outlet to tank. So: everything but the metal lines and the lines between the injectors.

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Update from the last two days.

1. Advanced the IP as much as possible: no start.
2. Advanced the IP further by skipping a sprocket on the ip pulley.
3. Heated the block for 1.5 hours after doing this and engine almost started.

Will try to move it one more sprocket tonight and try again.

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

bscutt wrote:X2 on the timing advance. <snip> I had to actually move the belt a tooth to get it advanced enough to start when I swapped in an old pump while resealing the original. It rattled pretty bad but started up quickly.
Thanks for that tip, bscutt. I was thinking about doing just that, but the fact that you had posted about it gave me the confidence to follow through and try it. It's pretty close now...

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Also verify that your fuel supply line is connected to the supply fuel banjo on the IP, and that the return line is connected to the "out" bolt on the IP. I've swapped those before and had a dickens of a time getting it to start and run. It did, but not well.

I have too many to count
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

82vdub wrote:Also verify that your fuel supply line is connected to the supply fuel banjo on the IP, and that the return line is connected to the "out" bolt on the IP. I've swapped those before and had a dickens of a time getting it to start and run. It did, but not well.
I believe they are, as I didn't disconnect them, but I'll verify. Thanks!