Red Antifreeze

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Red Antifreeze

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

Temp gauge was showing the engine was hot and i suspected the thermostat was froze shut, so I took the it out while parked at a rest stop and wired it open and put it back. I was going to use just water, but a trucker gave me red antifreeze, being in a desporate situation, I took it. Are there any issues with it in these diesels? Gaskets would probably the issue. It is Delo antifreeze.

To finish the story, after I did all of this, the engine temp for sure had cooled off, the gauge still says it was hot hot, so the thermostat was not the issue. Makes me a little upset I did all the while at a rest area with it just being the stupid sensor. Not even sure if I had over heated it now.

Thanks
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: Red Antifreeze

Post by surfcam »

I have heard that the red and green antifreeze aren't compatible when mixed together. You can get blobs in the system. They sell a premium diesel antifreeze which really isn't necessary or do anything extra in a VW diesel because you don't have liners. It's made specially to stop deteriorating cavitation which can lead to loss of metal on the outside of the liner and eventually the o-ring will let go. I have seen this happen on industrial engines with liners. I really have to do some home work on the differences between red and green antifreeze.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

Thanks, this is for my 89 Jetta (not TDI), I swore I put this in the "VW Diesel (General)" page, not sure why it was moved. I'll hope it is good. I have to change the thermostat out once I can trust my gauge again, at which point I'll probably switch back to green antifreeze.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

correct, you don't want to run the new orange or red coolants in our older engines or any non aluminum radiator engine-

http://donsnotes.com/home_garden/auto/antifreeze.html
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG