1980 Dasher 1.5L Diesel

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

HBDasher
Glow Plug

1980 Dasher 1.5L Diesel

Post by HBDasher »

After an accident in my old MkV GTI I decided to get a throwback and bought the dasher. I will be bringing it back to life this coming month and pull the motor and replace many of the rubber hoses and mounts, as well as possibly re-ringing the motor. The 1.5l head seams to b warped, had the head gasket replaced but still leaks coolant

My problem right now is leaking raw fuel from the injection pump. It is the seal/gasket located on the top of the pump connecting the drive pulley. Was wondering what the part number for the gasket would be. Need to get it replaced ASAP!

Let me know if anyone has any incite!

Kyle
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Re: 1980 Dasher 1.5L Diesel

Post by bscutt »

I don't know if you can buy that seal separately but the Bosh DGK126 seal kit is the best way to go. You can buy them on line at various places including ebay or if you have a local diesel service center they may have one for the Bosch VE pump.
The last one I did had little rubber nubs at various points around the seal and I removed those with a razor blade to the seal would fit into the cutout in the cover without interference. Search for Pump Reseal on this forum and you should find more information on it.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
HBDasher
Glow Plug

Post by HBDasher »

bscutt wrote:I don't know if you can buy that seal separately but the Bosh DGK126 seal kit is the best way to go. You can buy them on line at various places including ebay or if you have a local diesel service center they may have one for the Bosch VE pump.
The last one I did had little rubber nubs at various points around the seal and I removed those with a razor blade to the seal would fit into the cutout in the cover without interference. Search for Pump Reseal on this forum and you should find more information on it.

awesome thank you for the info!
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I also found this blurb I had saved regarding the top cover seal changes. Not sure whose post I grabbed it from but I keep some of these postings for future reference so here it is. Note that marking the shaft position is critical. If I can find some more details I will post them.

"you will need the top lid gasket NEW and the o-rings for the accel. shaft.
Take the nut off the linkage, watch close how the springs go on and mark the position of the accel arm on the splines to the shaft, and unbolt the accel cable linkage bracket from the top cover. remove the bolts that hold the top cover, then push the shaft through the top cover, inspect shaft and cover for wear, if all is good, replace o-rings and top cover seal, reassemble and fill pump with diesel through the "out"hole on the pump.
Start car and check for leaks, if you have any luck with the springs you should be able to do this in about 1/2 a hour. If you have never done this maybe 1-2 hours"
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe