Uploading Pics for this forum

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Uploading Pics for this forum

Post by CoolAirVw »

Lots of people ask how to upload pics. I thought I might give a quick description. I am a car forum junky and frequent many different forums and I certainly find threads with lots of pics much more interesting. If anyone cares with interesting content "newbies" or "passers through" might stick around and thereby we could build a larger community here.

First you need a place to put the pics. This forum is provided by Jack and he chooses not to allow pics uploaded here. Why? Because it costs more, uses more bandwith, and storage space. <----my assumption

There are many free picture hosting sites. The one I use is Image.Fat uses imageshack.com and tylernet likes tinypic.com because you dont have to "log in".

I just started a new login on Photobucket just to tell about this process and it took less than one minute. (but I type fast)

Second upload the pics to your new Photobucket account. It'll look like this.

This link gives a tutorial http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_3.html

After you have uploaded the pic click on the "IMG Code" area pictured below. By clicking there the link to the picture is copied to your computers clipboard. In the image below the arrow points to HTML tag. Dont click there! Click below it on IMG Code

This link tells more---> http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_74.html

Then open the forum thread you want to display the picture in and "paste" the link to the main text box. Done this way you dont need to push the img or url button at all.

Thats all ya got to do! Its easy as riding a bike.

For advanced users only (not really :D )

You can display almost any pic on the internet on this forum in almost the same way.
1. Find the pic and right click it.
2. Click on properties
3. Highlight and copy the Address/URL
4. Go to your forum and click reply to the thread you want.
5. This time click the IMG button above the main text box. This will drop a IMG "tag" (a HTML command) into the main text box.
6. Then "paste" the Address/URL next to the IMG tag.
7. Then click the IMG button again. This will "close" the IMG tag.

Here's some examples.

This is from Jacks site.

This is from ebay

And here is a pic of Britney Spears. Maybe I should have picked one with skimpier dress for interesting content!

Hope this helps! Give it a try its fun & easy!
Last edited by CoolAirVw on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

pics

Post by Fatmobile »

Thanks, more pictures would be great.
It's free and easy.
Once you have the camera.
I do use imageshack,... I like using their thumbnails code because they don't slow the page loading for dialup people like me,... but can be expanded for people who care about the subject.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

thanks, You rock! Photobucket even allows me to upload strait from my Smartphone! Here is a pict take with my phone of my ac compressor that keeps breaking its mounting bolts and comeing loose causeing the belt to de-rail, good thing the Alt light lit up because the temp rose up very quickly, I think I am going to run a 7/16" rod threw both sides and cotter key it in place.

90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Oh, and one more thing... If you size the pics properly,they dont "stretch"the forum window out, making it necessary for everyone who reads the text, to scroll left and right. For an example of a oversized pic see JRM's pic above. For an example of stretched out text read some of the text I wrote.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Bah, JRM's pic doesn't stretch my window, I've got 2,960 horizontal pixels. :wink: You just need a higher rez monitor. :lol: His pic will actually fit in less than 1280 pixels without scrolling. That seems reasonable to me.

Andrew
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

wow

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

libbybapa wrote:Andrew
1. Find the pic and right click it.
2. Click on properties
3. Highlight and copy the Address/URL
4. Go to your forum and click reply to the thread you want.
5. This time click the IMG button above the main text box. This will drop a IMG "tag" (a HTML command) into the main text box.
6. Then "paste" the Address/URL next to the IMG tag.
7. Then click the IMG button again. This will "close" the IMG tag.

hey, it works!! thanx
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Not my most memorable statement, but it's an interesting quote, none-the less. :lol:

You can shorten the picture stealing by a couple steps by right clicking and choosing "copy image location". Then you simply paste in your reply. No need for the "properties" and highlighting and pressing copy. :wink:

Cheers,
Andrew

P.S. That's some nasty strut tower rust... :shock:
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

libbybapa wrote:Bah, JRM's pic doesn't stretch my window, I've got 2,960 horizontal pixels. :wink: You just need a higher rez monitor. :lol: His pic will actually fit in less than 1280 pixels without scrolling. That seems reasonable to me.

Andrew
Must be nice to be rich and have this huge moniter. :D :D For the rest of us it would be nice if we didn't have to scroll. :roll: Some of the forums I frequent have "suggested maximum size" for pics, for easier viewing.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Kneale Brownson
Cetane Booster

Post by Kneale Brownson »

I think the forum software can be set to automatically resize linked photos so scrolling is unnecessary.

Also, be aware that many of the free hosting sites limit the number of visits permitted in a day. And frequently what you get for free isn't going to be there forever.

I subscribe to pbase. For about $20 a year I get a huge amount of picture storage with unlimited hits.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

...makin' this one a sticky since this comes up frequently.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
steevz
Diesel Freak

Re:

Post by steevz »

CoolAirVw wrote:Must be nice to be rich and have this huge moniter. :D :D For the rest of us it would be nice if we didn't have to scroll. :roll: Some of the forums I frequent have "suggested maximum size" for pics, for easier viewing.
I know this is an old thread now.. but if you find you are having to scroll left to right.. try this:

"Hold Ctrl + Scroll MMB" (hold control + scroll your mouse wheel)

Should reduce the size of everything on the page. Just set it back after you get a look.
92 Golf coverted to diesel.
colby
Site Administrator

Re: Uploading Pics for this forum

Post by colby »

test post
colby
Site Administrator

Re: Uploading Pics for this forum

Post by colby »

test