Water/Coolant pump removal help please

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dleesel
Cetane Booster

Water/Coolant pump removal help please

Post by dleesel »

So I need to change out my water pump, I've got the Bentley Book out but it seems to be a little vague to me at least. Book says there are four bolts that hold the pump to bracket (same bracket that holds the ac compressor, power steering pump, and alternator) but I've only found three bolts. Two that sit on the bracket that were very easy to see once I took the compressor out of the way and the other that sit on the top of the bracket behind one of the timing belt pulleys.

I've taken all three of those off and the bracket doesn't even wiggle, so wherever that last bolt is I wouldn't be suprised if it was a big one lol. Can anyone tell me where that last bolt is? Or any other tricks for taking the pump off?

Thank you
My name Lee and I has a Golf. An 85 1.6L N/A Golf.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Water/Coolant pump removal help please

Post by 82vdub »

What vehicle are you working on, and which pump (water or injection) is the one in question?

There are 4 bolts that hold the injector pump to the pump bracket. One's accessible through the timing belt pully from the front of the engine, two on either side of the pump itself, and one underneat the high pressure end of the pump.

The bracket that (essentially) holds the water pump housing to the block also (somewhat) holds the injector pump to the engine. If this is the bracket that you are trying to remove, the bolt in question is probably the one that's behind the injector pump. Since you car has AC, this bolt is difficult to access. I've tried all sorts of ways to remove this bolt, but eventually gave up and just removed the injector pump. I had it so loose anyways, but just couldn't get to it. I think I was able to snake a socket back in there using a 1/4" drive, with tape holding everything together in case the socket came off the extension. Never got the bolt undone, and even if I did, probably would have never gotten it back in without removing the injector pump.

Is this the info you needed?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
dleesel
Cetane Booster

Post by dleesel »

Yes, and thank you for asking what car I'm working on...it reminded me to place it in my signature.

All I need to replace is the pump and not the entire housing so I don't really need to take the entire thing out. That being said the other way I thought of taking out the only pulley (I'd have to take out the timing belt) that sits in front of the pump and it seems to me that it would be really after that. Only thing is, timing belts terrify me. I've never replaced one and I just don't know if I feel comfortable with it. I've watched some videos on replacing the timing belt and they make it look easy....just make a mark on the pulley and the block and line them up. But I'm just not sure. Should I try this route? If you say no, I'll be glad lol.
My name Lee and I has a Golf. An 85 1.6L N/A Golf.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Here's the catch 22 situation you may find yourself in. The bolts holding the water pump to the housing are aluminum, or something soft like that. Unless you've used alternate bolts and/or anti-sieze in a previous replacement, it's likely you will break these bolts off in the housing, forcing you to take other measures to get them out (or just change the housing). I don't recollect, but the water pump is bolted to the housing with something like 7-8 bolts. Since you're talking about only 4 bolts, it makes me think that you are taking the whole pump and housing out together.

Are you sure you were unbolting the pump from the housing, and not unbolting the housing from the bracket/block?

The timing belt is an easy replacement if you use common sense and mark things before you take it apart and make sure there's no interferrence before using the key to turn the engine over when you're done. If you don't have a Bentley manual yet for this car, buy one, especially if you are going to service it yourself.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

We can help you through setting the timing belt back on too.
Either way, the intermediate shaft pully has to be removed or the injection pump.
Either way the belt is coming off.
I always worry about the bolts breaking so choose to remove the pump, ac bracket and water pump housing so I can easily put a torch to the ones that don't move.
You might want to try the i-shaft pully removal and see if any bolts need to be heated.
Whre are you located, rust belt?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
dr. no
Glow Plug

Post by dr. no »

The bolts holding the water pump to the housing are aluminum
I haven't run into this one yet...

Another vote for removing the injection pump. Then it's all right there in the open.
Scott
http://lungehphoto.com

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td and 4sp transplant--wonderful!
'86 Isuzu Trooper turboDiesel
'08 RAV4 Mommymobile
'12 Suzuki SX4 Tech

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
colby
Site Administrator

Post by colby »

I've taken the alternator bracket off without removing the pump. It required the small drive ratchet, a universal and some extensions, but it can be done. At least, on my MK2, I could do it.