2003 diesel jetta automatic transmission bad

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dolcesails
Glow Plug

2003 diesel jetta automatic transmission bad

Post by dolcesails »

Hi guys,
sometime ago I did the automatic swap with a 5 speed in a 86 jetta. My brother is down here visiting in his 2003 diesel jetta 196,544 miles on it, the automatic trans went out, will I be able to do a 5 speed swap like I did with my 86......is there a computer on this car I think there is because I read something about codes. any and all feedback is welcomed......thanks fellas seeya......Nick
2 81 VW trucks
86 Jetta switched from gas to diesel
88 Golf switched for gas to diesel
85 Quantum diesel
all run wvo
Nick
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 2003 diesel jetta automatic transmission bad

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm pretty sure the automatics use a different computer, like you mentioned.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I've converted about 12 of those to manual trans.

its a very easy conversion. Look at my link below.

http://kansascitytdi.com/01m-to-5-speed-conversion-800/

All the info to do this conversion is on the "kill the wabbit" thread on the tdiclub. It s huge monster thread, and you'll have to do a bunch of reading to get all the info. The wiring info is on a pdf by GdB. There are mistakes in the pdf but if your sharp you can figure out the mistakes, and there is plenty of info in the pdf to get it going.

The computer can easily be recoded by anyone with vagcom. But the car is entirely driveable without the recoding. The "kill the wabbit" thread tells all about it.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Hay Richard what's with the code under your sign in. Looks like your trying to do a hyper link or something. Sorry to go off topic but it looks to me this 2003 diesel jetta TDI is posted in the General category for good reason. The TDI Only Forum doesn't get a lot of traffic which is real shame. I don't real like going over to those other forums. I'm much more a home right hear. Maybe I'm being selfish or lazy. But I think not. At some point there will be way more TDI's than mechanical's if there isn't already and this forum may slow quite a bit. I guess we do have a lot of die hards so hears hoping it continues. The thread on buying a caddy was great. Sure makes a guy want to come back for more.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/