No Start 1990 Jetta 1.6 Diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

billybob2014
Glow Plug

No Start 1990 Jetta 1.6 Diesel

Post by billybob2014 »

New here...
I have a 1990 Jetta 1.6 non turbo that won't idle looking for any help, it sat for a few years, ran fine when parked.
It starts and runs for 1-2 seconds then quits. I've replaced the starter and battery, replaced the fuel filter, primed the filter, added some ATF, cracked the injectors to see fuel, tested the fuel cut off at the IP, and pumped the lines with a mighty vac. Any suggestions? Is there a way to test the fuel sender, could that be the problem or maybe it's the IP? I thought I got all the air out of the lines.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: No Start 1990 Jetta 1.6 Diesel

Post by Quantum-man »

Could be lift pump's vanes sticking, so try running with a high up gravity drip feed.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

As quantum man says, bottle feed it with an elevated bottle. This will take out the vane side of the pump that has to suck the fuel from the tank, and any fuel delivery issues to the IP. However, the vane inside the pump sticks on these after they sit unused for a while.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
billybob2014
Glow Plug

Post by billybob2014 »

82vdub wrote:As quantum man says, bottle feed it with an elevated bottle. This will take out the vane side of the pump that has to suck the fuel from the tank, and any fuel delivery issues to the IP. However, the vane inside the pump sticks on these after they sit unused for a while.
is there a way to un-stick the vanes?
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

If it runs continuously with the bottle (lines in and out from IP), I'd burn a couple of cans of Diesel Purge through it. That should free up the vanes.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
billybob2014
Glow Plug

Post by billybob2014 »

TylerDurden wrote:If it runs continuously with the bottle (lines in and out from IP), I'd burn a couple of cans of Diesel Purge through it. That should free up the vanes.
Okay, did the gravity and bottle. It started up and runs a few more seconds, revs up kinda high/bogs down a bit, then quits abruptly. Is this normal? I did not hook up the out line, left it attached to the filter, could this make a difference.

I'm going to the parts store for some clean out fluid and picking up some clean fuel. Would anyone recommend I add some ATF to the bottle also with the clean fuel and additive?

Thanks again for the help,

UPDATE:
It will run until I shut the key off, but still revs up high, I pumped the fuel pedal a few times and it did not change anything. Going to let it sit for a bit and try again...
ad
Forum Historian

Post by ad »

Go to the parts store and get two cans of diesel purge.

Bottle feed the IP with straight diesel purge.

You must put the return line in the feed bottle, so it recirculates the diesel purge rather than sending back to the tank.
A little inline fuel filter is on the input line is a good thing too.
1991 Jetta 1.6L N/A
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Clear lines into and out-of the pump will help you see if air is appearing anywhere in the system and help us diagnose the problem.
Notice people are using the term "Diesel Purge" it's an actual product, not just any "clean out fluid" will work.

I'm not sure how large of a bottle you used to bottle feed. The pump sends about 4 or 5 times as much fuel back to the tank as it uses. So it sent most of your bottle to the tank.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
billybob2014
Glow Plug

Post by billybob2014 »

Fatmobile wrote:Clear lines into and out-of the pump will help you see if air is appearing anywhere in the system and help us diagnose the problem.
Notice people are using the term "Diesel Purge" it's an actual product, not just any "clean out fluid" will work.

I'm not sure how large of a bottle you used to bottle feed. The pump sends about 4 or 5 times as much fuel back to the tank as it uses. So it sent most of your bottle to the tank.
Thank you very much for the explanation, understanding now, newbie to this, trial and error...

I did a search tonight on diesel purge and found it at Napa in my area, went to Riley's today and purchased Diesel Kleen and used this, oh well could add it to the tank in the future. Going to Napa Sunday for Liqui Moly Diesel Purge, clear lines, and will use a large glass jar.

I came across a video on youtube where they used the fuel filter with it, hooked up the lines from the can/jar to the filter. Good or bad idea? I did install a new filter. Also, this is my first time doing this, I'm not getting any throttle response and it seems to rev up, normal? Hopefully after tomorrow with the purge this helps solve the issue.

Thanks again,
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

Revving up and no throttle response are not normal. Revving up might be due to blowby or a sticky governor, a sticky governor might also be the cause of no-throttle.

If the engine will run safely while bottle feeding, I'd let a couple cans of DP or naptha/ATF (mix) circulate and be consumed by the engine. It is normal for the IP to get warm while running (the fuel circulation cools it) and that may help free stuff up. The solvents may change to a darker color, which is usually gunk from the IP and injectors.

Didi the engine ever get a dose of veggie or anything other than dino-diesel? That can gum up the works if not properly purged before shutdown.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
billybob2014
Glow Plug

Post by billybob2014 »

TylerDurden wrote:Revving up and no throttle response are not normal. Revving up might be due to blowby or a sticky governor, a sticky governor might also be the cause of no-throttle.

If the engine will run safely while bottle feeding, I'd let a couple cans of DP or naptha/ATF (mix) circulate and be consumed by the engine. It is normal for the IP to get warm while running (the fuel circulation cools it) and that may help free stuff up. The solvents may change to a darker color, which is usually gunk from the IP and injectors.

Didi the engine ever get a dose of veggie or anything other than dino-diesel? That can gum up the works if not properly purged before shutdown.
No veggie oil, sat for a long time without running though.