TD onto '82 Vanagon 1.6 NA?

Moderator: Fatmobile

86jetta1.6
Cetane Booster

TD onto '82 Vanagon 1.6 NA?

Post by 86jetta1.6 »

Soooo....after being a long time fan of mk2 Diesel jettas, I laid my first wrench on my new to me '82 Vanagon Diesel today. I bought it a few months ago, it had been sitting since '05 and motor condition was unknown. Previous owner hadn't even tried to turn it over. This morning I:

visually inspected the timing belt to make sure it was there and mice hadn't eaten it
hooked up auxilary tank with fresh diesel
sprayed some PB blaster into exhaust ports since it has been sitting outside 9 years with no exhaust or manifold on
vacuumed out the air filter housing and sprayed lube down the intake ports
new air cleaner since there was so much dust in engine compartment from 9 years of storage and the mice ate the old one
battery pack
remote starter
Then I removed the fuel return banjo fitting on the IP and hooked up a hand vacuum pump and sucked fresh fuel through the IP

Then I finally put a wrench on the crank......the moment of truth.......it turned smoothly....YES!!!!!!!

Then I cycled the key to make sure fuel solenoid on the IP was clicking, it was, and then hit the remote start to see if it would even crank......it did more than that, IT STARTED instantly!!!!!! Smoked for a few seconds and then cleared out and even idled smoothly! Boy is it loud without ANY exhaust. Let it run for a min and shut it down. I of coarse took a video which is here....

http://youtu.be/bIF85jhZlgY

Ok, enough of my story.... my question is

Since this thing came without an exhaust manifold and the only one I found was on ebay for $375, not to mention the actual exhaust cost........can I put a turbo manifold setup on here? My concern is fitment. I did some searching and found some people say yes if you dent in the body of van a little for clearance and other people say no in my searching. I happen to have a '91 Ecodiesel with a seized lower end, and in addition to that on craigslist last week I picked up a 1.6 TD head, manifolds, and turbo set up complete with both manifolds (I didn't have an intended use for it but the whole lot was $100 so I couldn't pass it up!). Obviously I will then have to build custom exhaust and tap into the oil pan, I am ok with that.

Does anyone know for sure if this turbo set up will or will not fit in here? I would love to put the turbo on (since I have the parts already and dont have the 1.6 NA exhaust manifold) and then a 2.5" exhaust elbow to the rear and an 8" inch piece of pipe for exhaust. Gets my blood curling thinking about the turbo spooling up.

I have had 1.6 NA jettas for years but just got my first turbo a few weeks ago and am now hooked!

Question #2

If I go to turbo setup, can I use 1) stock vanagon IP 2) Ecodiesel Pump I already have or 3) Find a TD pump?

I realize to truly utilize all the turbo has to offer I need a TD pump, but for right now all I truly want is to be able take this thing for a drive and work out all the other bugs, once it is roadworthy, then I can work on performance upgrades.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Re: TD onto '82 Vanagon 1.6 NA?

Post by surfcam »

The real expert on this subject is Andrew Libby. I don't know if he is still on this Forum or not but I think he hangs out at others like Vortex. He maybe able to help with the specialty items for your van if you need any. I don't believe Jack carries that stuff but a guy can check.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
86jetta1.6
Cetane Booster

Post by 86jetta1.6 »

Sounds good, thanks, I really havent explored other forums, maybe its about time to venture out....
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I really miss Andrew's comments. He really helped me with my spelling and sentence structure by roasting me from time to time. His father was a teacher and he could be one to if he isn't one already? He certainly tot me a lot. This knowage of buses, turbo, IP's was second to nun. I've never been diagnosed with dyslexia but I do feel I have a lot of the signs of it. I don't think they even knew what it was when I went to school. It was the age of ink wells and fountain pens. I found this web site http://www.wikihow.com/Recognize-Signs-of-Dyslexia and it really sounds like me.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Good to hear it popped right off.
You will probably want to put a new timing belt on it, even if the one it has looks good. I haven't done any vanagon stuff yet,.. but have heard the TD exhaust manifold to get would be the quantum Td or other engine that is mounted front to back.
I asked Andrew about the best turbo to get:
His response on the VNT:
No, the common integral manifold VNTs on a vanagon are about as far from an easy install as you can get. Because the vanagon is tipped to the 50° angle (an additional 35° over the jetta/golf install angle), the VNT center section is not clocked correctly. Clocking the center section is considerably more difficult than on conventional turbos. The vane carrier is bolted to the turbine housing and pinned to the center section which contains the vane lever. Precisely drilling and tapping three new holes in the turbine housing in order to mount the vane carrier/center section the additional 35° is required. The common Jetta/Golf VNT with integral manifold also is an extreme interference with the vanagon driver's side mounting bracket. On each of the vanagon installs I have done, I have used the Euro non-integral manifold version. I built an adapter between the earlier trapezoidal exhaust manifold and the VNT that includes a short section of pipe that rotates the turbo up the necessary 35° to avoid the interference and to clock the center section properly so that an unmodified turbo can be used. I built a jig in order to be able to reproduce the adapter.
On the stock waste-gated turbo he mentioned that the van needs power down low for take-off. The stock turbo doesn't provide any boost until 2000 rpm.
Of the 3 choices, I'd go with the stock vanagon pump. The eco pump moves less fuel with it's smaller plunger and a TD pump won't get you more fuel, just less smoke before boost,.. it limits fuel at the low end, doesn't add more at the top.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
86jetta1.6
Cetane Booster

Post by 86jetta1.6 »

Great information, thanks!! Thats exactly what I was looking for! Looks like 1.6 NA will remain!