1.6 TD JX engine pump/turbo question

Moderator: Fatmobile

dr. no
Glow Plug

1.6 TD JX engine pump/turbo question

Post by dr. no »

My engine (as supplied from Quality in California) had a hose connected to the adjuster bolt of the wastegate and LDA on the pump (true JX pump). I can't find any documentation on this, as it is distinctly different from the line connected to the intake manifold. I had to replace the turbo with one that must have come off an AAZ. The wastegate adjuster bolt is just threaded, and doesn't look at all the same. The LDA is supposed to have an atmospheric vent, why would it be connected to the wastegate?
Scott
http://lungehphoto.com

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td and 4sp transplant--wonderful!
'86 Isuzu Trooper turboDiesel
'08 RAV4 Mommymobile
'12 Suzuki SX4 Tech

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 1.6 TD JX engine pump/turbo question

Post by Fatmobile »

What is the top picture?
Sounds like they put the wastgate hose on the adjuster bolt.
Probably just stuck it there so it wasn't hanging.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
dr. no
Glow Plug

Post by dr. no »

No, the wastegate was connected with the hard line and banjo bolts to the high pressure side of the turbo. This was connected, as shown, to the LDA.
Scott

'08 RAV4 Mommymobile
'12 Suzuki SX4 Tech

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'91 Fox
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Fatmobile wrote:What is the top picture?
Just little thoughts going through my head, since you didn't answer my question,.. If the top picture is of a waste gate?? how come it's on the front of the head? Looks like the front of the head anyway,.. kind of close up too see what is where. That rod might be the adjuster bolt to the waste gate that you spoke of.
Is one of the circles the adjuster bolt on the waste gate?

OOOOOh
Circles but no description of what the circles mean,.. just pictures with circles and talk about something that might not be related to the circles at all,. and no description of what's important in the pictures and where.
and no picture of hardline or banjos just mentioned.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
dr. no
Glow Plug

Post by dr. no »

The top picture is of the LDA (as described), the lower picture is of the wastegate.
On the JX injection pump the LDA is oriented toward the front of the vehicle, so it might be unfamiliar if you have not seen one. There are two nipples, one pointed up (there is a hose connected to the intake manifold, which contains air pressurized by the turbocharger) and one pointing down (which is difficult to reach, and had this mystery hose connected to the wastegate adjuster bolt).

The second picture is of the wastegate, which is part of the turbocharger that regulates maximum pressure. On the JX engine this is mounted under the head on the left side. In the picture it is actually sitting on my workbench.

The red circles indicate the two place the hose in question attaches. I'm sorry context was lacking. I have no questions about the hard line attaching to the wastegate, it's function is obvious and well described in many places.

As this is labeled the "Vanagon Diesel Forum" and there has been discussion in the past involving these engines I was hoping someone familiar with these parts would have some ideas and would be willing to share.
Scott

'08 RAV4 Mommymobile
'12 Suzuki SX4 Tech

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'91 Fox
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When you say the line was stuck to the wastegate adjuster bolt, it sounds like it was plugged, just a hose slid over a bolt.
Since it's coming from a port on the other side of the diaphram, it looks like a vent to atmosphere to me, just stuck on a bolt for shipping, so it didn't flop around. I suggested this before and got this for a response:
"No, the wastegate was connected with the hard line and banjo bolts to the high pressure side of the turbo. This was connected, as shown, to the LDA."
Which didn't make sense to me. Now I know that "as shown" must mean it was circled and you are referring to the circled port in the top pic,,... which is an LDA whoda guessed, ha.
Hose from that port, which is an LDA I've never seen, is stuck over the top of a bolt.
Now that I know it's an LDA:
Sounds like they put the LDA vent hose on the adjuster bolt.
Probably just stuck it there so it wasn't hanging.
The normal LDA has a vent to atmoshere on the other side of the LDA diaphram too.

" The LDA is supposed to have an atmospheric vent, why would it be connected to the wastegate?"
It wasn't, it was stuck over a bolt,.. as shown.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Zaloopa
Glow Plug

Post by Zaloopa »

HA! There is not even supposed to be a hose on that vent but when a Turbo starts to let oil through (Seals are going) it vents out in a nasty spray all over the top of your engine and a lazy mechanic once put a hose on mine and dangled it. Likely a similar situation

Z